Hampden-sydney vs. Roanoke
March 20, 2010
The Game Story:
HAMPDEN-SYDNEY, VA (March 20, 2010)� It was a tale of two halves today at Lewis C. Everett Stadium as the Hampden-Sydney lacrosse team fell to #8 Roanoke College. After fighting back from a second quarter deficit to tie the game at six heading into halftime, the Tigers couldn't keep up with the Maroons in the second half, eventually falling by a margin of 22-10.

Roanoke was able to score the first two goals of the game through the first five minutes of action, but the Tigers responded nicely. Junior Nate Norbo (Waterford, VA/Loudoun Valley) got the Tigers on the scoreboard with a goal on a nice assist from sophomore Micah Keller (Richmond, VA/Christchurch) with nine minutes left in the first quarter. Sophomore Ben Clarke (Virginia Beach, VA/Norfolk Academy) struck again for the Tigers with five minutes left in the quarter, before sophomore Nate Cundy (Midlothian, VA/James River) scored a beautiful goal from his knees with 16 seconds left in the quarter to give Hampden-Sydney its first lead of the day.

The Maroons came out of the break on fire, scoring four straight goals to put them up 6-3. The resilient Tigers, however, would not back down and answered back again. Clarke notched his second tally of the day on an assist from sophomore Carter Mavromatis (Virginia Beach, VA/Cape Henry), before junior Cole Hawthorne (Richmond, VA/Collegiate) got in on the action with a goal on an assist from Clarke. Senior captain Kyle Jett (Suffolk, VA/Nansemond Suffolk) punctuated the comeback with a goal with 48 seconds remaining in the half to tie things up at six apiece heading into the break.

Roanoke again came flying out of the gates in the third quarter, scoring the first six goals of the second half. Hampden-Sydney again answered with a run of their own on two goals from Jett and one from Clarke to give them each a hat trick and pull the Tigers within three at 12-9. Roanoke got one more goal before the quarter ended to make the score 13-9 heading into the final stanza.

Hampden-Sydney was able to break through first in the fourth quarter when freshman Brad Mostowy (Atlanta, GA/Trinity Pawling) won the opening faceoff, scooped up the groundball, raced through the Roanoke defense and fired a shot past the goalie to bring the Tigers within three again at 13-10. From that point on, however, it was the Maroons who were able to take control of the game, holding Hampden-Sydney scoreless the rest of the way on the way to the final score of 22-10.

Roanoke was able to take advantage of winning the faceoff battle 28 to 7 while also converting on 4 out of 5 extra man opportunities. Tiger goalies made 18 stops on the day. Jett and Clarke paced the Tigers with three goals apiece, and Clarke also contributed three assists. Mavromatis led the Tigers in ground balls with six. With the loss, Hampden-Sydney drops to 4-3 on the season and 0-1 in the ODAC, while Roanoke improves to 7-1. Hampden-Sydney's next game will take place next Saturday, March 27, when they travel to Greensboro, NC to take on Greensboro College at 1:00 pm.