Hampden-sydney vs. Roanoke
April 23, 2002
The Game Story:
HAMPDEN-SYDNEY, VA (April 23, 2002)-Hampden-Sydney junior midfielder Jason Rostan (Farmville, VA) scored four goals and had two assists, while fellow junior midfielder Phil Dick (Salem, VA) also scored four times to lead third-ranked Hampden-Sydney past Roanoke, 12-10, in the semifinals of the inaugural Old Dominion Athletic Conference Men?s Lacrosse Tournament. The top-seeded Tigers improve to 13-1 overall and extend their winning streak to 13 games.

The contest proved to be a back-and-forth battle and featured four ties as the Tigers battled back from 6-3, and 8-6 deficits to defeat the feisty Maroons. The Tigers scored first as Dick netted a shot off a Chris Lucas (Fairfax Station, VA) assist at the 13:22 mark of the first quarter, but the Maroons quickly tied it just nine seconds later as Andy Bonasera scored.

The first quarter ended with the Maroons ahead, 4-3, as the two teams battled to a 3-3 draw before Joe Weeren broke through for the Maroons with 1:03 left in the quarter to give RC the advantage. The Maroons then quickly scored the first two goals of the second quarter as Bryan Daddio and Weeren netted shots to push Roanoke into its biggest lead, 6-3.

A Matt Fassnacht (Fairfax, VA) shot found an open net with 10:37 to play and in the first half, while a Phil Dick cutter found the back of the net minutes later to cut the Maroon advantage back to one, 6-4. Kris Davis? first goal of the game with just under eight to play put Roanoke back ahead, 7-5, but the Tigers rallied as Dick again scored, this time off an assist by John Neal (Richmond, VA) to make it 7-6 at the half.

Kris Davis opened the scoring in the second half for the Maroons, giving the team an 8-6 advantage, but unassisted tallies by Jason Rostan (Farmville, VA) and Chris Lucas tied the contest at eight with 7:12 left in the third quarter in what were the first two goal of a 6-0 stretch for the Tigers. Rostan?s third goal of the game, with 1:09 remaining in the third, gave the Tigers their first lead since a 1-0 advantage early in the contest and Phil Dick put the team ahead by two, 10-8, with just 32 seconds remaining.

Goals by Chris Lucas and Rostan to start the fourth quarter put the game away for Hampden-Sydney despite two late tallied by the Maroons. Jeremy Bull?s (Raleigh, NC) seven second-half saves sealed the game as the Tigers survived, 12-10, and will now advance into the ODAC Championship game. Hampden-Sydney held the shots advantage, 45-30, and won the ground balls battle, 49-32. Despite losing six of the first eight face-offs, the Tigers rallied to win the advantage, 13-10.

Rostan led all players with four goals and two assists, while Dick finished with four goals, Lucas with two goals and two assists and John Neal and Matt Fassnacht with a goal each. Jeremy Bull finished the game with 11 saves in the net for the Tigers. The Maroons were paced by Kris Davis? three goals and one assist, while Joe Weeren scored twice, Andy Bonasera, Garrett Yaralian, Bryan Daddio, Dan Reed and Ross Sanner each scored once. Ronaoke?s Tim Morse finished the game with 15 saves in the net.

The top-seeded Tigers will now face second-seeded and seventh-ranked Washington and Lee on Saturday at 1 pm at Fulton Field for the ODAC Lacrosse Championship.