Hartwick vs. Nazareth
April 4, 2009
The Game Story:
ONEONTA, NY - Visiting Nazareth scored three goals in the opening four minutes of the third period to break open a one-goal game in an 11-6 Golden Flyers' victory over Hartwick's men's lacrosse team on Saturday at Wright Stadium. Naz improves to 6-3 overall and stays at the top of the Empire 8 with a 3-0 mark. The Hawks drop to 3-6 on the season and 1-3 in the conference standings.

With the Golden Flyers clinging to a 5-4 lead at the end of 30 minutes of action, they took control with two goals in the first minute of the third quarter and added another just over three minutes later. The Flyers started the period up a man and sophomore Joe Jacobs-Ferderbar would capitalize for one of his three second-half goals to make it 6-4 after just 21 seconds.

Twenty-eight ticks later, Chris Law would add to the lead for his second on the day. Scott Castle, who won 9-of-14 face-offs for the Golden Flyers, would set up both of the tallies. Jacobs-Ferderbar would get his second 3:57 into the third from Erinn O'Hara, who also ended the afternoon with a pair of goals. The Flyers made it a five-goal game (9-4) as Castle finished off an unassisted goal later in the period.

Hartwick's Tom Srubinski (West Islip, NY) answered for 'Wick on a nice individual effort with 1:28 to play before the final quarter, and junior Brandon Wilk's (Hillsborough, NJ) laser with 1:48 elapsed in the fourth cut the deficit to 9-6. Forty-two second's after Wilk's tally, the Hawks were whistled for a slash and Jacobs-Ferderbar and junior Mark DeCirce made them pay with the Flyers' second man-up score of the contest. Jacobs-Ferderbar closed out the scoring with 7:29 remaining with his third goal.

Nazareth finished the match with a 48-24 edge in shots and a 43-29 advantage in ground balls. In the all-important third period, the Flyers outshot the Hawks 17-3, grabbed 15 ground balls and won all five face-offs.

The Hawks jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the game as Dave Aitchison (Farmingdale, NY) and Ryan Kloss (Hillsborough, NJ) both scored unassisted goals in the first six and a half minutes of action. Naz would come right back with two scores 12 seconds apart at the 8:52 mark and the 9:04 mark of the game to even up the score. Srubinski then set up senior Alex Giovinazzo (Waltham, MA) for his first of two goals in the match to regain the lead for the Hawks, but O'Hara tallied with 1:25 on the clock to make it 3-3 after the first quarter.

O'Hara gave Nazareth the lead for good 4:20 into the second period and Law won the ensuing face-off and scored just five seconds later to give the Flyers a two-goal edge (5-3). Wilk then spotted Giovinazzo for his second of the period for a man-up goal to cut the lead to one heading into halftime.

Freshman Chris Livelli (Hillsborough, NJ) would win 8-of-10 draws for Hartwick and he tied for a team-best five ground balls. Goalie John Meade (Ocean Beach, NY) also finished with five and stopped 14 in the 'Wick cage. Junior Eric Willadsen (South Windsor, CT) contributed four ground ball pickups on the afternoon.

Naz's Alex Cole led all players with seven ground balls. Jacobs-Federbar added five to his three-goal, one-assist day. Nick Lucarelli caused four Hawk turnovers and Golden Flyer keeper Todd Dermody stopped five shots in the win.

Hartwick returns to Empire 8 action one week from today in Elmira, NY. The Hawks face the Soaring Eagles of Elmira College at 4 p.m.