Hartwick vs. Oneonta State
March 11, 2008
The Game Story:
ONEONTA, N.Y. - Pete Glass netted three goals as visiting Oneonta State registered a convincing 14-8 victory over Hartwick in men's lacrosse action, Tuesday afternoon at Wright Stadium.

After Hartwick grabbed a one-goal advantage on a marker from Andrew Kraemer with 8:53 left in the second quarter, the Red Dragons, who improved to 1-1 on the year, tied the game 13 seconds later as Mike Flood planted his first score of the year. That goal by the junior triggered a 5-0 spurt by the Red Dragons. Less than a minute after Flood's goal, Shaun Headrick gave Oneonta State the lead for good with 7:44 remaining in the second quarter. Matt Harvey and Troy Lepore added markers with 6:48 and 49 seconds left respectively as the Red Dragons took a 7-4 lead into intermission.

Trailing by four, Hartwick pulled within 8-5 as David Aitchison netted his second collegiate goal with 6:57 left in the third. However, that was as close as the Hawks would get to the Red Dragons as Oneonta State scored five of the next six goals to build a 13-6 lead.

The Hawks, who suffered their first loss of the year and dropped to 2-1 overall, opened scoring in the first quarter as Dan Hushion collected his sixth goal of the year 1:14 into the contest. The Red Dragons withstood several `Wick scoring opportunities and tied the game at 1-1 on a goal by Tim Burns at 10:41. After Hartwick regained the advantage at 2-1 on as Brandon Wilk deposited a feed by Steve Caramello into the net with 4:53 left, Red Dragon junior Kevin McSloy tied the game once again with 17 second left in the opening period. Glass opened the scoring in the second period at 14:46 to give Oneonta State a 3-2 lead. The Hawks rallied to score back-to-back goals by senior defenseman Marc Fautas and Kraemer to take their last lead of the contest at 4-3. For Fautas, it was his first collegiate goal.

Scott Weiner and Lepore each tallied a pair of goals in the victory. Goalie Kyle Reich was credited with 14 saves in the victory. Hartwick was paced by Vito DeMola. The freshman scored back-to-back goals in the fourth quarter to reach the double figured goal total in three games. Matt Shellard added the other Hartwick goal. Junior John Meade went the distance and posted 13 saves.

Oneonta State went four of seven in man up situations, while Hartwick could only convert one of seven opportunities in the loss.

The Hawks open their Empire 8 Conference schedule Saturday at RIT.