Hartwick vs. Oneonta State
April 27, 2010
The Game Story:
ONEONTA, NY - Hartwick took an 11-3 lead into the fourth quarter and cruised to a 13-7 victory over local rival Oneonta State on Tuesday night at Wright Stadium. It marks the second straight season the Hawks have defeated the Red Dragons and the seventh 'Wick win in the last 10 meetings between the two clubs. With the victory, Hartwick improves to 5-8 overall. Oneonta slips to 7-7.

Freshman Harry Hughes (Holtsville, NY/Sachem East) notched a career-high four goals to pace the Hawks, who finished the game with a 49-36 edge in shots. Dave Aitchison (Farmingdale, NY/N. Massapequa) added two goals and two assists, Brandon Wilk (Hillsborough, NJ/Hillsborough) contributed two scores and one helper, and Joe Shields (Loudonville, NY/Shaker) tallied twice.

Seven different players scored for Oneonta State. Scott Weiner, Steve Loesch, and Ryan Waibel each scored and dished out an assist for the Red Dragons.

The Hawks jumped out to a quick 2-0 lead as Wilk and Shields netted unassisted tallies in the opening 2:23 of the contest. Senior Steve Kuron (Wantagh, NY/Wantagh) added to the total close to six minutes later and 'Wick led by three before Scott Kellman got the Dragons on the board.

Hartwick made it 4-1 three minutes and 10 seconds into the second quarter as Aitchison set up Hughes for his first of the day. Matt Harvey got one back for O-State on a man-up tally with 5:51 left in the half, but the Hawks drew an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty and Aitchison capitalized on the ensuing man-up to get the goal right back. It ignited a 5-0 run for the Hawks over the next 6:10 of action. Hughes scored his second and Shields added Hartwick's seventh goal with eight seconds to play in the half for a 7-2 advantage.

Aitchison and Hughes both found the net in the first 1:32 of the second half and the Hawks led by a count of 9-2. After Oneonta countered with a Jim van de Veerdonk tally less than a minute later, Bobby Cassidy (Oceanside, NY/Oceanside) and Wilk goals gave Hartwick its biggest lead, 11-3, heading into the final period.

With the game out of reach, the Red Dragons would score four of six fourth quarter goals in the final nine minutes of play to make the score a little closer. Hughes picked up his fourth goal of the night in the fourth and Tom Srubinski (West Islip, NY/West Islip) got into the scoring column with 24 seconds to play.

Hartwick starting goalkeeper Ryan Twardowski (Emmaus, PA/S. Lehigh), made eight saves in 55 minutes of action. Carl Lengel (Lynbrook, NY/Lynbrook) relieved him for the final five minutes and made two saves. Oneonta's Chris Miles and Sean Reynolds combined to stop 11 saves in the game.

The Red Dragons edged out the Hawks in ground balls in the game 37-36. Kevin Miller (Wantagh, NY/Wantagh) and Kuron each had six to lead the Hawks. Miller would also cause a game-best four turnovers in the game. Alex Skvarch (Syracuse, NY/Marcellus) registered four ground balls and two caused turnovers.

Loesch and Nick Sorillo led Oneonta with eight ground balls apiece and Tyler Gore caused three Hawk turnovers.

Tonight's game marked the final one at Wright Stadium in the careers of Miller, Kuron, Wilk, Twardowski, Eric Willadsen (S. Windsor, CT/S. Windsor), Will Couch (Baltimore, MD/Friends), and Jake Mahon (Guilford, CT/Guilford).

The Hawks wrap up regular season play on the road at Alfred on Saturday at 1 p.m.