Hartwick vs. Rit
March 21, 2009
The Game Story:
ONEONTA, NY - Senior Steve Caramello (Duxbury, MA) scored three goals and keeper John Meade (Ocean Beach, NY) stopped 17 shots to lead Hartwick College's men's lacrosse team to a 7-6 victory over the R.I.T. Tigers on Saturday at Wright Stadium in the Empire 8 Conference opener for both clubs. Despite being out-shot 23-8 in the second half, the Hawks were able to build a two-goal lead in the fourth quarter and held on for their first win over the Tigers since 2005. The victory improves 'Wick's record to 3-3 overall. R.I.T. slips from the unbeaten ranks to 5-1.

Caramello netted three of the Hawks' first four goals on the day. Freshmen Tom Srubinski (West Islip, NY) and Chris Livelli (Hillsborough, NJ) each recorded a goal and an assist on the day and senior Alex Giovinazzo (Waltham, MA) and junior Brandon Wilk (Hillsborough, NJ) each scored once for the Hawks.

The Tigers were led offensively by Kelso Davis who registered a hat-trick. Adam Vlassis, Chris Cherami, and Sean Gillies also scored.

Caramello opened the scoring for Hartwick at the 6:30 mark of the first period with Srubinski picking up the assist. The Tigers wasted little time in netting their first of the day as Davis scored from a Cody Schroeder-Young pass just 46 seconds later. Davis would give R.I.T. the lead with just over three minutes to go in the opening frame on an unassisted tally, but Ryan Kloss (Hillsborough, NJ) would earn the first of his three assists on the day as he found Giovinazzo for his fifth tally of the year to even things at 2-2.

The Hawks and Tigers traded a pair of goals each in the second quarter to close the half tied at four. Cherami and Vlassis picked up unassisted goals for the visitors and 'Wick would take advantage of R.I.T. penalties with a pair of man-up Caramello goals, the second of which coming just 1:14 before halftime.

Wilk gave Hartwick the lead for good as he slipped one past Tiger goalie Kevin Rattigan 3:58 into the third period. Rattigan got a piece of the shot, but it trickled over the line for the go-ahead score. Livelli extended the Hawk lead to two goals, 6-4, when he scored from Kloss for the team's third extra-man goal of the day. The Tigers shaved the advantage to one, however, as Davis netted his third for a one-goal R.I.T. deficit heading into the fourth quarter.

The Hawks picked up another two-goal cushion 20 ticks into the fourth, as freshman Mike Morrison (Holbrook, NY) found Srubinski with a nice cross-field pass on the right side of the cage. Srubinski blasted home his team-leading 10th goal of the season and Hartwick led 7-5.

Gillies would answer for R.I.T. 41 seconds later with Davis picking up the helper with 13:59 on the clock, but the Tigers could not find the tying goal in the final 14 minutes. The Tigers, who ended the match going 0-for-7 in extra-man opportunities, had a one-minute, man-up situation at the 12:29 mark of the quarter but failed to convert. They would take 10 more shots in the final 12 minutes of action, but Meade stopped four of them and the Hawk defenders blocked two.

'Wick would have a great chance to put the game away with 1:21 left as Rattigan was out of the R.I.T. cage looking to force a turnover. The ball went to Livelli but his open look at the empty goal was turned away by a Tiger defender. R.I.T. regained possession but turned the ball over twice in the final 73 seconds to give 'Wick the win.

The Tigers outshot the Hawks in each quarter and finished with a 44-22 edge. They also earned a 48-43 advantage in ground balls for the day. Hartwick defenseman Kevin Miller (Wantagh, NY) and Meade finished tied for a game-high eight ground balls in the contest. Miller and Alex Skvarch (Syracuse, NY) caused four turnovers each for the Hawks and Livelli won eight of 11 face-offs.

Dan McRae and Adam Lehman nabbed six ground balls apiece and midfielder M.J. Kiekebelt caused three Hartwick turnovers for the Tigers. Rattigan made eight saves in the game for R.I.T. Meade would stop 10 in the second half as he corralled a season-high 17.

Hartwick will look to sink its second straight unbeaten opponent next Saturday as the team travels to St. John Fisher (7-0). Game time is slated for 1 p.m. in Rochester.