King's College vs. Gwynedd-mercy
March 20, 2010
The Game Story:
WILKES-BARRE – Curtis Reinard scored the game winning goal 1:27 into the third overtime period as the King’s College men’s lacrosse team posted a dramatic 8-7 victory over visiting Gwynedd-Mercy College in the longest game in program history.

With the win, King’s evened its season mark at 2-2 while Gwynedd slipped to 5-2.

King’s took a 1-0 lead just 0:25 into the game as Jason Merola scored off an assist from Lenny Fox. The Monarchs added to their lead 0:50 later when Brendan Novotny converted a Dan Carducci pass into a 2-0 advantage. King’s pushed the score to 3-0 when Rusty Booth scored unassisted with 5:44 remaining in the first quarter. Gwynedd-Mercy reached the scoreboard when Dustan Mangin scored an unassisted goal of his own with 3:34 remaining in the opening stanza.

In the second period Booth scored again at 12:38 to push the Monarch lead to 4-1 but Mason Risner countered for the Griffins to cut the lead to 4-2 at 10:59 mark. King’s extended the lead to5-2 just 1:12 later when Carducci made good on a feed by Fox. Gwynedd would tally the final goal of the half at 2:59 when Stephan Hetland scored on an assist by Nick Coan.

In the third quarter, the Monarchs used goals by Novotny and Carducci to stretch the lead to 7-3 entering the final 15 minutes of play.

From there, however, Gwynedd mounted a steady comeback as Risner scored two straight goals and Craig Trueblood added another to bring the Griffins to within 7-6 with 8:32 left in the contest. Hetland would then convert a pass from Hummel into a game-tying score with 4:05 remaining as Gwynedd used four unanswered goals to send the game into overtime.

In the first overtime session, the Griffins maintained possession for the entire four minutes but failed to make good on any of the six shots attempted. In the second overtime, the Monarchs controlled the majority of play but missed on all three shots while holing the Griffins without a shot. In the third overtime session, Merola came from behind the net to find Reinard cutting to the net and the Monarch senior launched a shot from approximately 30 feet away that beat Griffin goalie Rich Zagari, putting an end to a historic game for the Monarchs.

Carducci scored two goals and added an assist while Novotny, and Booth tallied two goals each for the Monarchs. Fox and Merola added two assists apiece. King’s freshman goalie Kenny Cernuto made 12 saves for King’s.