New York Maritime vs. Kean
April 4, 2009
The Game Story:
THROGS NECK, NY Ė The Maritime menís lacrosse team defeated the defending Skyline Conference Champion Kean University 8-6, on a windy afternoon in Throgs Neck. The Privateers came back from a 3-0 deficit, and outlasted an un-releasable penalty and a pushing call in the final 1:30 of the game to get the victory. Maritime improved to 6-3 (1-0) while Kean dropped to 7-4 (0-1) on the season.

Kean scored the first three goals of the game, including the only two in the opening quarter. Anthony Bertucci started things off, scoring on a man-up play at the 9:50 mark. Scott Leathem scored with 2 minutes to play in the quarter. Despite turning the ball over 9 times, and securing no faceoffs in the quarter, the Cougars held a 2-0 edge after the first 15 minutes.

Mike Terry put the Cougars up 3-0 at the 9:56 point in the second quarter, but Maritime stormed back scoring three straight to close the half. Alex Korb (Islip, NY/Islip) scored twice and Stephen Doherty (Yorktown, NY/Lakeland) scored the game tieing goal with 1:10 to play. Korb would open the second half with his third goal, followed by a Michael Hanratty (Floral Park, NY/Floral Park) score with 4 minutes to play in the third. The Privateers held Kean scoreless in the quarter, taking a 5-3 lead into the final 15 minutes of play.

Eric Gillar kept Kean in the game with a man-up goal in the opening minutes of the fourth, but Maritime scored three straight to grab an 8-4 advantage. Rob Lenseth (Yorktown, NY/Yorktown) scored first, then assisted on the next two goals from Keith Fricke (White Plains, NY/White Plains) and Alex Korb. Despite a four goal lead, the final two minutes of play proved to be very interesting, after Maritime was whistled for an illegal stick with 1:30 to go. The 1 minute, non-releasable, penalty gave the Cougars an opportunity to come back, but the Maritime defense allowed only 1 goal during the minute penalty. Just as the minute expired, another whistle was blown on Maritime, giving Kean another man-up opportunity that they cashed in on, bringing the score to 8-6. Fortunately, the 30 second pushing penalty was released after the score, and Maritime was able to secure the win.

Colin Gallagher (Syracuse, NY/Westhill) was in net for Maritime, stopping 9 shots in 60 minutes. John Gesumaria was in goal for the Cougars, and he recorded 14 saves in just over 58 minutes played. Statistically, the teams were pretty even, with Maritime picking up 34 ground balls and Kean 33, Kean taking 37 shots to Maritimeís 34, and Maritime turning the ball over 26 times to Keanís 24.

Alex Korb scored 4 times to lead the Maritime attack, while Rob Lenseth, Stephen Doherty, Michael Hanratty, and Keith Fricke all scored one each. Lenseth recorded 2 assists, while Doherty and Lawrence Montreuil (New Hyde Park, NY/New Hyde Park) each had one. No Cougar scored more than one goal.

The Privateers will travel to Mount Saint Vincent on April 8th for another Skyline game. The opening faceoff is scheduled for 8:00PM.