Nichols vs. Western Connecticut
March 30, 2009
The Game Story:
DUDLEY, MASS. (Mar. 30th) Ė The Western Connecticut State University menís lacrosse team snapped a five-game losing streak with a 20-9 victory over Nichols College in a non-conference matchup at Vendetti Field Monday evening. Junior attackman Adam Lanehart and freshman attacker Sean Macey paced the Colonials with six points each.

Lanehart recorded five goals and an assist, while Macey picked up four goals and a pair of helpers to lead 11 Colonials with multiple-point games. Senior midfielder Joseph Aitken and junior midfielder Kirk Zachary chipped in with a goal and two assists each.

Sophomore attackman Brian Donnelly (Weymouth, Mass.) paced the Bison offense with four goals for his fourth-straight multiple-goal game, while sophomore attacker Ryan Pacific (Danbury, Conn.) added three assists. Senior attacker Pete Cramer (Hanover, Mass.) scored a pair of man-up goals and sophomore midfielder Tim Ahern (Boca Raton, Fla.) chipped in with a goal and an assist.

Ahern gave the Bison an early 1-0 lead at 11:30 of the opening quarter, but three Colonials goals in less than two minutes, including a pair from Macey, put the visitors ahead for good at the 5:57 mark of the first quarter.

Donnelly ripped an unassisted tally to bring the Bison within one at 5:44 of the first, but Lanehart answered right back 20 seconds later to keep the goal advantage headed into the second quarter.

Western Connecticut extended its lead to five goals at the half thanks to a 5-2 scoring margin in the second quarter. Cramer netted two man-up goals in four chances in the frame for the Bison, both coming from Pacific.

Mike Nazarro and Macey pushed the Colonialsí lead to 11-4 by the 9:41 mark of the third quarter before the teams traded unassisted goals 10 seconds apart. Donnelly added another for the Bison before Lanehart and Mike Schoen tacked on two more for a 14-6 Western Connecticut advantage.

Nicholsí Brian Gattie (Planfield, N.H.) and the Colonialsí John McGrath traded goals to close out the nine-goal third quarter with Western Connecticut leading, 15-7.

The Colonials added five more in the final stanza, including three tallies in the final five minutes for the final 20-9 score.

Nichols first-year netminder Scott Gray (Annapolis, Md.) made 22 saves in 56 minutes of action before giving way to classmate Matt Cecil (Odenton, Md.), who allowed two goals and made one save. Freshman Tyler Martone made nine saves in 48 minutes of action to earn the win before bowing out to Vinny Danseglio, who allowed one goal and made three saves in six minutes. Chris Frappier closed out the final five minutes, allowing one goal.

Western Connecticut held a 61-45 shot advantage and picked up 50 groundballs to Nicholsí 37. Senior midfielder Terry Stroz won 17 of 23 faceoffs for the Colonials, who won 20 of 31 on the night.

Nichols returns to The Commonwealth Coast Conference action on Wednesday in a 7 p.m. home game against New England College. Western Connecticut is back in action at Kean on April 1 in a 7 p.m. game.