Nichols vs. Suny Canton
March 17, 2012
The Game Story:
DUDLEY, Mass. (Mar. 17) – The Nichols College men's lacrosse team scored 11 second-half goals to erase a two-goal halftime deficit in a 13-5 victory over visiting SUNY Canton Saturday afternoon at Vendetti Field. Trailing, 4-2, at the break, the Bison outscored the Roos, 11-1, in the second half of the game to improve their record to 2-2. Canton dips to 1-3 on the year.

Brian Girard potted three of his game-high four goals in the second half for the Bison, while Marc Miller netted all three of his during the span, including two man-up tallies. Macaulay Gillis added two goals, while Michael Bane recorded four points on a goal and three assists.

Trevor Roundpoint and Jason Thompson each had two goals for the Roos, while Pat Connelly added two points on a goal and an assist.

Canton was the first to strike, just 28 second into the contest as Connelly got the Roos on the board. Girard answered back 33 seconds later to even the score, but Thomson took a feed from Rob Gleason less than a minute later to make it 2-1 in favor of Canton. The Roos looked dominant in the first quarter, winning all four faceoffs and holding a 10-6 shot advantage.

Gillis evened the score early in the second quarter before Roundpoint recorded back-to-back goals just over two minutes apart to give the Roos a 4-2 lead headed into halftime.

Nichols regrouped at the break and rattled off five-straight goals within the first seven-and-a-half minutes of the third quarter, starting with tallies from Miller, Girard and Bane less than two minutes apart to see the Bison take a 5-4 lead. A net-front goal from Gillis followed by a man-up score by Miller in a span of 18 seconds expanded the Bison's lead to 7-4 by the 6:30 mark of the frame.

Canton got one more strike, a slow roller that snuck between the foot of goalkeeper Scott Gray and the post while the Roos were man-up at 5:05 of the third quarter, but Girard picked up the groundball off the ensuing faceoff and deposited it into the net to reclaim the Bison's three-goal lead, 8-5.

Nichols added five goals in the fourth quarter, including two man-up tallies on two opportunities. Devan Maher scored the first, followed by Miller just over three minutes later. Peter Sorenson recorded his first goal of the season late in the game.

Gray finished with 12 saves for the Bison, while Corey Spuck made 20 for the Roos. Nichols held a 49-23 shot advantage the game, including a 32-8 lead in the second half. Jeremy McAuley won 6-of-9 faceoffs for the BIson, who finished 12-0f-21 on the day, including a 9-of-13 effort in the second half.

The Bison are idle until their Commonwealth Coast Conference opener on Saturday, March 24, in a 4 p.m. game at Gordon College. SUNY Canton travels to Thomas College (Maine) for a 4 p.m. game on Wednesday, March 21.