Oberlin vs. Otterbein
May 1, 2013
The Game Story:
Oberlin, Ohio – Behind a season-high 18 saves from sophomore Erickson Andrews, the Oberlin College men’s lacrosse team won its season finale, topping Otterbein University, 7-4, on Wednesday night at Fred Shults Field.

With the win the Yeomen finish the year at 8-6 overall, closing out the season with a four-game winning streak. It marks the first time since the 1995 season that the Yeomen finished above .500. The eight total wins are the most in any season since 1994 when the team finished 9-4.

The Yeomen started off the game with a 3-0 lead as Alex Wagman opened up the scoring just 1:17 in with an assist coming from Mickey Fiorillo. Rookie #Nick Lobley would then follow with back-to-back scores all within the first six minutes of the game. Lobley’s first finish was assisted by Austin Little, while Fiorillo recorded his second helper of the quarter on Lobley’s second score.

Unfortunately, the Yeomen could not keep the momentum going as the Cardinals settled in and ripped off four straight goals to take the lead. They would net one late in the first quarter and score the only three goals of the second quarter.

It was a stalemate for nearly all of the third period as the two teams traded possessions without much luck on the offensive end. Not until senior Connor Jackson would cash in the final goal of his Yeomen career and 23rd of the season on a man-up finish with 12 seconds left in the session to tie the game.

Lobley would begin the fourth quarter by completing the hat trick with his third goal of the game. It would prove to be his second game-winning tally of the year. Junior defensemen Kirby Livingston would later add his second-career goal for insurance and Austin Little would make it seven scores on the day for the Yeomen with the help of Lobley with just 1:07 left to play. Earlier in the period, it also appeared that defensemen Noel Myers registered a goal, but it was waived off by the officials.

Andrews fended off any late comeback attempts by the Cardinals, making six of his 18 saves in the fourth quarter.

The game was physical throughout as the two teams combined for 15 total penalties and 14 minutes served. Otterbein finished with a 31-29 edge in shots, while Oberlin won the ground ball battle 38-30.