Ohio Wesleyan vs. Denison
April 5, 2009
The Game Story:
Denison's Emmett Jones scored 4 goals and Nate Hall added 2 more as the Big Red opened the game with a 10-1 run and went on to defeat Ohio Wesleyan in North Coast Athletic Conference action on Wednesday at Selby Field.

The loss was Ohio Wesleyan's first to Denison at Selby Field since April 15, 2000, snapping a string of 6 straight home wins over the Big Red. The 8-goal margin of victory was the widest in the series since April 19, 1997, when the Bishops defeated the Big Red by a count of 17-8 in Granville, and was Denison's largest margin of victory over Ohio Wesleyan since April 24, 1994, when the Big Red defeated the Bishops by a 14-6 margin in Granville.

The Big Red took a 1-0 lead on Alex Hardt's unassisted goal, then made it 2-0 when Jones collected the offensive rebound after a save by sophomore Jud Hall (Columbus/Upper Arlington) and scored from point-blank range.

The Bishops were called for a penalty on the play, and the Big Red took advantage of the ensuing man-up opportunity, with Brady Burton scoring 13 seconds later for a 3-0 Denison lead.

Ohio Wesleyan answered when sophomore defender Tony D'Abarno (Venetta, Pa./Peters Township) scooped up the ball after a Denison turnover, made a long run, and whipped a shot past Big Red keeper Greg Shannon to bring the Bishops within 3-1 with 10:30 left in the quarter.

Denison responded with 7 straight goals, with Hall starting the run with an unassisted goal at the 8:43 mark. Jones followed with a pair of goals less than a minute apart before Tanner Smith's score made it a 7-1 lead. Hall and Jones tallied goals 33 seconds apart, and Dan Maude finished the run with an unassisted goal that extended the margin to 10-1 with 3:52 left in the first quarter.

The Bishops opened the second quarter with scores by junior attacker Rob Young (Langhorne, Pa./Council Rock South) and junior midfielder Chris Ehlinger (Radnor, Pa.), but Denison scored the last 2 goals of the quarter for a 13-3 halftime lead.

Junior midfielder Craig Aronoff (Potomac, Md./The Bullis School) scored in the opening minute of the third quarter, and goals by Ehlinger and senior attacker Nick Gallagher (Columbus/Dublin Scioto) brought the Bishops within 14-6 at the end of the third quarter.

Young and junior midfielder Andy Princehorn (Worthington/Thomas Worthington) continued the Bishop comeback, pulling Ohio Wesleyan to within 14-8 with 10:01 left in regulation time, but Nate Hall's man-up goal ended the Bishop run, and the Big Red added scores by Burton and Hall to pull away in the closing minutes.

Young led the Bishops with 2 goals and an assist, while Ehlinger scored 2 goals.

Hall finished with 9 saves and freshman Dan Huckins (Commack, N.Y./Northfield-Mount Hermon (Mass.)) made 1 save in the second quarter.

Jones led the Big Red with 5 goals, while Hall had 4 goals and 4 assists and Burton scored 4 goals.

Shannon had 7 saves in the Denison goal.