Rit vs. Stevens Tech
February 25, 2006
The Game Story:
ROCHESTER, NY - Senior captain Dave Thering (Fairport, NY/Fairport) scored two straight goals within a 53 second span midway through the fourth quarter, breaking an 8-8 tie and lifting the #15 RIT men's lacrosse team to a 10-9 win over #8 Stevens Institute of Technology on a snowy, cold and blustery afternoon at the RIT Turf Field on Saturday.

About 2-3 inches of snow fell throughout the game, blanketing the field in a sea of white. In the fourth quarter, members of the RIT staff shoveled off porions of the field to show were the lines were.

The Tigers (1-0) got off to a great start, running out to a 7-2 lead early in the third quarter before Stevens roared back, scoring five unanswered goals to tie the game at 7 late in the third quarter.

Andrew Ruocco (Corning, NY/Corning East) opened the scoring for RIT with 8:03 left in the opening quarter, taking a pass from Thering on the left wing and blistering a shot past Stevens goaltender Jack Dunderdale to give RIT a 1-0 lead.

After Stevens tied the game at 1 on a goal John Dolny, RIT regained the lead in the final minute of the quarter, as Colin Jesien (Cambridge, MD/Cambridge-S. Dorchester) tallied a man-up goal off a feed from Thering with 28 seconds left.

The Tigers started the second quarter off on a three-minute man-up situation and capitalized by scoring twice to go up 4-1 on goals by Eric Pritchard (Webster, NY/Webster) and Scott Farress (Webster, NY/Webster). Pritchard assisted on Farress' goal and Farress assisted on Pritchard's goal.

Alex Richards cut RIT's lead to 4-2 with 10:42 left in the second, but Thering and Jesien tallied goals 40 seconds apart later in the first half to give the Tigers a 6-2 halftime lead.

Pritchard tallied his second of the day to make it 7-2 RIT just 1:06 into the second half. Stevens showed why they are a top-10 team however, storming back to score five straight goals and tie the game at 7 with 6:15 left in the third. Eric Smith made it 7-3 with 13:36 left, and was followed by a goal from Richards 37 seconds later. Mark Bielecky made it 7-5 with 11 minutes remaining and 18 seconds later Richards tallied the hat-trick to get within one. Richards then tied the game with 6:15 left in the third.

Farress gave RIT its one goal lead back, taking a feed from Ruocco and slipping a shot just inside the left post to close the scoring in the third.

The Ducks opened the quarter by tying the game on a goal by Joe Van Sickle with 11:59 left.

Thering, a 2006 STIX-USILA Preaseason All-American, then worked his magic to put RIT up two. He scored his second of the game with 8:17 left, ripping a shot just under the crossbar to give RIT a 9-8 lead. He then took a feed from Ruocco in tight and slipped it home to put the Tigers up two.

Bielicky added his second of the game with 6:08 to cut the Tiger lead to one.

TIger goalkeeper John Foley (Guelph, ON/Our Lady of Lourdes) made the lead stand up, making two excellent saves from point-blank range over the last five minutes, first on Bielicky from the left crease and then on Dolny from the other side. He ended up making 16 saves to earn the win.

Thering scored three goals and added two assists to lead RIT offensively. Pritchard chipped with two goals and two assists, while Farress had two goals and an assist. Ruocco scored a goal and handed out two helpers and Jesien tallied a pair of goals.

Richards led Stevens with four goals. Smith had a goal and two assists, while Bielicky had two goals for the Ducks.

The Tigers were efficient with the extra-man, scoring five times in seven chances.

RIT is back in action on Saturday, March 4, as they host Eastern Connecticut State on the RIT Turf Field at 1 p.m.