Roanoke vs. Cabrini
May 13, 2006
The Game Story:
SALEM, VA--Behind 4-3 with 7:34 remaining in the second quarter, the Roanoke College menís lacrosse team rattled off 11 consecutive goals in cruising to a 17-6 win over Cabrini (PA) College in the Second Round of the NCAA Division III tournament in Salem, VA. The Maroons improve to 14-2 overall with the win, their 13th straight, and will next play at Gettysburg on Wednesday in the NCAA Quarterfinals. Cabrini, which was playing Roanoke for the first time, has its season come to an end with 13-3 overall mark.

Roanoke opened scoring in the game, getting a first period goal from senior Chris Keating on a low-to-high shot that hit the right corner of the goal. The Cavaliers, which got four first quarter saves from goalie Kevin Quinn, got back-to-back assisted goals from Dan Leigh, two of his three goals in the game. With just 16 seconds left in the first quarter, Roanoke Brendan Moore took a pass on the crease, ducked around a CC defender and evened the score at two. On the ensuing face-off, Roanoke sophomore Billy Cameron gained possession, battled through the Cabrini defense and scored Roanokeís third goal, just six seconds after the Moore tally.

The Cavaliers opened the scoring in the second quarter, getting the first two of the frame. Matt Campbell was left all alone on the crease on a Cabrini fastbreak and scored on an assist from Ryan Dunn, then Campbell fed a pass from behind the cage to Leigh, who gave Cabrini the 4-3 lead.

Leighís third goal came with 7:34 left in the half, but that would be the last goal the Maroons would give up until 51 seconds showed on the third quarter clock. That was also the last even strength goal the Maroons would allow. In between, 11 straight goals gave the Maroons a sizeable 14-5 lead. Jon Mason and Matt Duke scored unassisted goals within 42 seconds of Cabriniís fourth score to give the Maroons the lead for good. Chris Keating cut through the middle and finished a Chaz Carlson pass, Zach Thomas scored against Cabriniís zone defense and Matt Duke scored with 31 second left in the half and the Maroons held an 8-4 lead at the break.

After Cabrini held the ball for the first three minutes of the second half, Roanoke sophomore Mike Brennan picked up a loose ball, cleared the ball and on a fastbreak pass assisted on a Zach Thomas score. Keating, Moore, Duke, and Mason scored the next four goals and with 5:08 left in the third Roanoke led 13-4. The lead went to 10 when senior Adam Saunders moved from behind the cage and scored on an unassisted play.

The Cavaliers broke the Maroon run on an outside man-up shot by senior Kevin Rayer. The Cavaliers then opened the scoring in the final period, also getting a man-up score. After the penalty was called, the Maroon defense did not break a team huddle quick enough and with no goalie in the cage Cabrini freshman Scott Reimer was able to score on the empty net.

After a Matt Madalon clearing pass went astray, Moore gained possession and beat Quinn on a low shot to give Roanoke a 15-6 lead. Killing another penalty, Roanoke junior Andrew Hall pushed a fastbreak, passed to Scott Pattison, who then gave Roanoke the 10-goal edge back. Freshman Richard Fox capped the scoring, getting a goal on a Rob Clements pass.

Madalon finished with 17 saves for the Maroons, but it was the play of sophomore goalie Drew Bowers that sparked the Maroon defense. After Madalon was whistled for a 30 penalty in the first quarter, Bowers came in a made two saves on Cabriniís man-up chance. Billy Cameron won 16 of the 26 face-offs he took and finished in a tie for the game-lead with Josh Bryant with 10 groundballs.

Quinn was solid in goal for the Cavaliers, finishing the game with 18 saves, seven in the second quarter, five in the fourth.