Roanoke vs. Hampden-sydney
April 28, 2004
The Game Story:
SALEM, VA--The Roanoke College men's lacrosse team advanced to its first ever Old Dominion Athletic Conference championship game with a 13-5 win over Hampden-Sydney College on Wednesday afternoon in Salem, VA. The Maroons, who entered the game ranked 16th in the country, improve to 10-4 on the season. Hampden-Sydney, the nation^s 14th ranked team, falls to 8-5 on the season. Roanoke^s victory avenged a 12-10 loss to the Tigers during the regular season. The Maroons will take on Washington & Lee on Sunday afternoon in Lexington, VA for the ODAC title.

Two unassisted Jon Mason (Orangeville, ONT/Canada/Orangeville) goals gave the Maroons a 2-0 lead with 7:18 to play in the first quarter. Jeff Mattie and Chris Schaaf answered back for the Tigers with less than two minutes to play in the quarter to even the game at two. The Maroons, however, went ahead for good on an unassisted Chris Keating (Chatham, NJ/Chatham) goal with 47 seconds left in the first 15 minutes.

The Maroons scored the only goals of the second quarter, one from Mason, the other from senior Kris Davis (Parkton, MD/Hereford) to take a 5-2 lead at the break. Hampden-Sydney goalie Jeremy Bull kept the Tigers in the game in the first half, making four stops in each of the first two quarters. The Maroons outshot Hampden-Sydney 15-4 in the first quarter and 24-11 in the first half.

Jeff Pattison (Mercer Island, WA/Mercer Island) opened the scoring in the second half with the six straight unassisted RC tally. Pattison then picked up RC^s first assist of the afternoon on a Davis score with 8:25 to play in the third to make the score 8-2 in Roanoke^s favor. Schaaf ended Roanoke^s 5-0 run on a goal with 7:11 left in the third. A Mike Chase (Webster, NY/Webster) goal on a Keating assist pushed the Maroons^ lead back to six goals, but again HSC fought to within five on a Vince Smith goal with 5:06 to play. The Maroon defense settled then down to hold Hampden-Sydney to without a goal until there was just 2:55 left in the game.

In the time the Tigers were held off the scoreboard, the Maroons scored five consecutive goals to push the lead out to 13-4. Garrett Yaralian (Fripp Island, SC/Mt. Lakes) scored twice in the run, while Mason added his fourth and fifth tallies. Michael Via ended HSC scoreless run with a man-up tally with 2:55 to go to make the final 13-5.

Mason finished the game with five goals, while Keating scored twice and added two assists. Pattison had a goal and two assists, while Davis ended the contest with two goals. Matt Madalon (Darien, CT/Darien) was forced to make just nine saves on the afternoon.

Schaaf had two of Hampden-Sydney^s five scores, while Smith added a goal and an assist. Jeremy Bull made 11 saves for the Tigers, while Peter Ellington played the final 10:31 and made three stops.