Roanoke vs. Lynchburg
May 1, 2005
The Game Story:
SALEM, VA--Lynchburg College freshman Ryan Cranston scored with 41
seconds left on the clock, giving the Hornets an 11-10 win over host
Roanoke in the 2005 Old Dominion Athletic Conference men's lacrosse
championship game. With the win, the Hornets improve to 12-4 on the
season and receive the ODAC's automatic bid to the NCAA Division III
national tournament. The Maroons fall to 13-2 with the loss, have
their nine-game winning streak snapped, and will now await to see if
they get one of the two at-large bids to the tournament.

The Maroons trailed 8-7 heading into the final period of play, and
fell behind 9-7 on a Ryan Quick extra-man goal to open the fourth.
The Maroons, however, responded with three consecutive goals, two
from sophomore Jon Mason, to take a 10-9 lead. Matt Duke gave the
hosts the lead with an unassisted goal with 8:07 to play. The Hornets
answered back on an AJ Tinklepaugh score with 4:47 left to even
things at 10.

Both teams traded possessions over the next four minutes. Lynchburg
got the last possession and on it, Cranston took a pass from Brian
Kemper and stepped into a 15-yard shot that just got past Roanoke
keeper Matt Madalon. The Maroons won the ensuing face-off, but were
unable to get a good look at the goal. Lynchburg then turned the ball
over with 11 seconds left in the game, setting up a Chris Keating
last-chance shot, a shot that was blocked by an LC defender as time

The Maroons opened up the scoring in the game, an unassisted tally
from Mason with 11:23 left. Billy McCulloch scored a transition goal
to tie the score at one, but the Maroons led after the first 15
minutes, 2-1.

The Hornets outscored the Maroons 5-3 in the second quarter to take a
6-5 lead at the break. Tinklepaugh opened the second with two
consecutive unassisted goals to even the score at three. Keating
scored on a Jon Mason assist, but the Hornets fired back on goals
from Johnny Black, a man-up score, and another McCulloch goal to take
command 5-4. Duke tied the score at five for RC, but Tinklepaugh
scored his third unassisted goal of the period, that with just 2.7
seconds left, to give LC the 6-5 lead at the break.

The Hornets pushed their lead out to 8-5 in the opening moments of
the third period on Quick and Brian McCulloch scores. Mason brought
the Maroons to within one goal with his second and third scores of
the game, setting up the dramatic fourth quarter action.

Garrett Curran made 12 saves in the game for the Hornets, and in
doing so was one of four Lynchburg players named to the
All-Tournament team. He was joined by teammates AJ Tinklepaugh, Ryan
Cranston, and Chad Clark. Roanoke's members of the team were Jon
Mason, Chris Keating and Matt Madalon. Semifinalist Hampden-Sydney
was represented by Ryan Fassnacht and John Pritzlaff, while W&L had
Charlie McCombs and Jim Ryan named to the squad.