Roanoke vs. Saint Mary's (md)
February 26, 2005
The Game Story:
SALEM, VA--The Roanoke College menís lacrosse team rallied back from a four-goal first quarter deficit to defeat visiting St. Maryís (MD) College 15-12 on Saturday afternoon in Salem, VA. The Maroons improve to 2-0 on the season, while the Sea Hawks are now 0-2 on the year. The Maroons also improve to 5-0 all-time against St. Maryís.

The opening 15 minutes of play belonged to the Sea Hawks. Shane Baxter opened the gameís scoring with 12:56 remaining on the clock, Pat Donovan earning an assist on the play. The Maroons evened the score just 43 seconds later when sophomore Jon Mason (Orangeville, ONT, Canada/Orangeville) picked up a loose ball in front of the SMC goal and in one motion fired a shot into the net. The Sea Hawks, however, took control of the quarter, scoring the next three goals and four of the next five. Twice, freshman Cyrus Albertson beat Maroon defenders on one-on-one moves, on consecutive St. Maryís possessions, and six minutes into the game, the Sea Hawks owned a 3-1 lead. Pat Schmidt then bulled his way through a Maroon defender and with 6:41 left in the first the Sea Hawks had built themselves a 4-1 lead.

The Maroons cut the lead in half on another Mason score, but St. Maryís scored the final two goals of the first, the third scoring strike from Albertson of the quarter and a Donovan score on a Dave Mueller assist, and the visitors owned the 6-2 edge.

The Maroons began their comeback in the early stages of the second quarter, taking advantage of St. Maryís penalties. Dan Reed (Columbus, OH/Upper Arlington) scored on an outside shot after receiving a man-up pass from Chris Keating (Chatham, NJ/Chatham) just 38 seconds into the second and just under four minutes later Matt Duke (Westminster, MD/Westminster) scored on a similar man-up assist from Keating and the Maroons were within two, 6-4. Just over a minute after Dukeís goal, senior Tug Schroeder (Cincinnati, OH/Sewickley) scored on a cross-crease pass from Zack Thomas (Bel Air, MD/St. Paulís) to make the edge one, 6-5.

Schmidt scored his second unassisted goal of the game with 8:05 left in the half to make the SMC lead 7-5. Thomas scored his only goal of the game to make the score 7-6 with 2:54 left and then out of a Roanoke timeout, Mason scored for the third time, working his way from the right wing and ripping a shot into the upper right corner, to even the score at seven with 33 seconds left in the half.

St. Maryís scored the first two goals of the third quarter, one of those coming from Albertson, his fourth of the game. Mason and Schroeder answered for the Maroons to tie the score at nine with 6:58 left in the third. But again, the Sea Hawks went ahead by two goals, 11-9, when Schmidt and Shane Baxter scored within 24 seconds of each other. Schmidtís goal came off of a loose ball, while the Baxter score came on a man-up.

After the Baxter score, the Maroons finally put together a scoring run that gave them the lead for the first time in the contest. Duke and Reed scored within 10 seconds of each, Reedís goal coming with 4:19 left in the third and tying the game at 11. Before the third was up, Keating scored an unassisted goal to give RC its first lead, 12-11.

In the fourth, the Maroons got a fifth goal from Mason and consecutive scores from Schroeder, who finished the game with a career-best four goals, and the Maroons had extended their lead to 15-11. The Sea Hawks scored a man-up goal with 2:36 left to make the final 15-12.

Jon Mason scored five goals for the Maroons, who also got a game-best 10 groundballs from Dan Reed. Billy Cameron (Salem, VA/Salem) won 16 of the 24 face-offs he took in the game, while Matt Madalon (Darien, CT/Darien) made nine saves, eight coming in the final three quarters.