Roanoke vs. Washington And Lee
May 2, 2007
The Game Story:
SALEM, VA--Roanoke College freshman Steve Furdock scored a man-up goal with just 24 seconds remaining in the Maroons’ Old Dominion Athletic Conference tournament semifinal home game against Washington & Lee, giving the hosts a 13-12 victory. The Maroons improve to 13-4 on the season with their ninth straight win and will next play Lynchburg College at 1:00pm on Sunday in the conference championship game. The Generals fall to 9-6 on the season.

With the game tied at 12 with two minutes to play, Roanoke’s Sam Love forced a Washington & Lee turnover. The Maroons cleared and called a timeout. After the timeout, Roanoke nearly turned the ball over itself, but junior Zach Thomas picked up the loose ball. Just after getting possession Thomas was pushed from behind, giving the Maroons the 30-second man-up. After working the ball around, Furdock ripped a 15-yard shot, scoring stick-side high, for the game-winner. The Generals won the ensuing face-off and after a timeout got off a wide shot as the final horn sounded.

Furdock’s goal capped a three-goal Roanoke comeback from a 12-9 deficit with 11:45 left in the game. The Generals used a 3-0 run of their own to take that lead. With just 20 seconds left in the third, General freshman Will Keigler intercepted a Roanoke clearing pass, scored, and after the play drew a one-minute Roanoke penalty. Harry St. John scored on the man-up early in the fourth and W&L led 11-9. St. John scored again with 11:45 left on a high shot and the lead was three.

Off the ensuing face-off, Roanoke freshman Steve Simmons won possession, ran into the box and scored on a lefty shot just 16 second later. Later in the quarter, the Maroons successfully cleared the ball, and in transition Chaz Carlson found Zach Thomas on the crease and Roanoke had trimmed the lead to 12-11. After Billy Cameron won the next face-off, it was Thomas that recorded an assist, finding freshman Pat March cutting from behind the cage to even the score at 12.

Roanoke goalie Jake Dorsey made a career-high 13 saves in goal for the Maroons, stopping the first four shots on goal he faced. The freshman made six saves in the first and five in the third. W&L senior Chris Lalli stopped 10 shots, five in the second. St. John finished the game with five goals on 10 shots. Seldon Clarke went 15-for-27 on face-offs, while Roanoke’s Billy Cameron went 8-for-15, winning four of those eight during Roanoke’s late comeback. Thomas finished with three goals and four assists for Roanoke.