Salisbury vs. Gettysburg
May 18, 2005
The Game Story:
SALISBURY, Md. – Dan Boyer scored four goals, including the go-ahead tally with 3:41 remaining, to lift top-ranked Salisbury over No. 4 Gettysburg 12-9 in the quarterfinals of the 2005 NCAA Division III men’s lacrosse championship on Wednesday.

Eric Bishop also netted four goals and dished out one assist for the Sea Gulls (18-0), who posted their 47th consecutive victory while moving within two victories of a third straight national championship. Justin Smith added two goals and two assists in the win while Dan Korpon made 14 saves.

Salisbury will host Roanoke in the national semifinals on Sunday. The Maroons knocked off conference rival Lynchburg, 10-9.

Brian Pryor (Dallas, TX/St. Mark’s) and Chase Stewart (Downingtown, PA/Downingtown) each scored twice and handed out one assist for the Bullets, who saw their 10-game winning streak come to an end.

Kevin Freehill (Baldwin, NY/Baldwin) and Jared Harriman (Yarmouth, ME/Yarmouth) chipped in with two goals apiece, helping Gettysburg (15-4) rally from a 7-3 first-half deficit to tie the game at 9 heading into the final quarter. Pat Vaughan (Cockeysville, MD/Loyola Blakefield) made nine of his 13 saves after halftime.

After watching the Bullets use a 6-2 run to rally from four goals down, the Sea Gulls capped a tense fourth quarter with the game’s final three goals to earn a spot in the national semifinals.

Following four empty possessions by each team, Salisbury set up the winning play with fewer than four minutes remaining. Bishop found Boyer in front of the net, and the junior faked twice before snapping the game-winner past Vaughan with 3:41 remaining.

Boyer added an insurance goal on a broken play moments later, tipping a pass from Smith into an empty net for an 11-9 lead with 2:29 remaining. Luis Gonzalez capped the three-goal burst with an empty-net goal in the final two minutes.

The Sea Gulls threatened to run away in the game’s first 23 minutes, building second-quarter leads of 6-2 and 7-3 thanks to two goals apiece from Smith and Bishop.

Stewart and face-off specialist Chris Renzi (Fairport, NY/Fairport) rallied the visitors in the final six minutes of the first half. Stewart set up a goal by Harriman with 5:54, then scored twice in the last 31 seconds, the latter goal coming with 12 ticks left to pull Gettysburg within 7-6.

A point-blank Korpon save on Pryor preserved Salisbury’s one-goal lead heading into halftime and Bishop netted his third and fourth goals in the first five minutes of the third quarter to push the lead to 9-6.

Freehill scored a man-up goal, however, and Pryor struck twice in a span of fewer than three minutes to pull the Bullets even for the first time since the game’s opening minute. With Vaughan and Korpon trading saves, both teams went scoreless for the next 13 minutes, 54 seconds before Boyer netted the Sea Gulls’ all-important 10th goal.

Gettysburg senior Jon Sowanick (Bethesda, MD/Bullis) collected one goal and one assist while firing a team-high eight shots in his final collegiate game. Evan Gallant (Lutherville, MD/Loyola Blakefield) dished out a pair of assists in the loss, the Bullets’ fourth in six all-time NCAA meetings against Salisbury.