Springfield vs. Western New England
April 23, 2010
The Game Story:
Springfield, Mass. - April 23, 2010 - The Western New England menís lacrosse team used three unanswered goals in the opening 2:30 of the second quarter to break open a 1-1 game as it battled past Springfield College, 12-9, in non-conference action on Stagg Field Friday afternoon.

WNEC improves to 10-5, while the Prideís six-game winning streak comes to an end as it drops to 8-5.

The Golden Bears opened up the game with a goal at the 13:20 mark as Colin Houlihan delivered a feed from behind the cage that Corrigan Harreys one-timed home as he tip-toed the crease.

Springfieldís Jarrid Johnson evened the game at one after he dodged to his left, and fired a shot on the run, finding the bottom corner of the cage with just over six minutes remaining in the opening quarter.

The Golden Bears couldnít have asked for a better start to the second quarter as Tim Santye scored three goals in the opening 2:30 to give WNEC a 4-1 advantage. Santye got loose and was all alone for his first two strikes before the Golden Bears used crisp ball movement to fine Santye on the crease for his third goal in less than three minutes.

Mike Santare added to WNECís lead as he snuck home a shot inside the near post 2:51 into the second as the Golden Bears owned a 5-1 lead.

Springfield responded with two-straight goals, starting with Kyle Louer's goal on the run at the 8:20 mark. Shawn Runyon then slotted a terrific pass through the Golden Bear defense to Mike Delia on the run, who bounced home his shot to make it a 5-3 contest.

22 seconds later, White stung a shot inside the right post to expand the visitors lead to three at 6-3. Just six seconds later, Joe Martin took advantage of winning a face-off on a procedure goal and zipped a pass to Nick Zaleski, who fired home a goal with his longstick to give the Golden Bears their six goal of the quarter. Joe Macchi closed out the first-half scoring with a shot that found the bottom corner of the cage with 1:32 remaining in the first 30 minutes of play.

SC scored the first goal of the second half as, out of a timeout, Runyon beats his man to the right and slotted a goal down low to make it a 7-5 game with 7:19 left in the third. However, the visitors pumped in the game's next three goals as White sandwiched a pair of goals around a Harreys strike to make it 10-5 after three quarters of play.

The momentum started to shift in favor of Springfield as Delia connected with Kyle Gable and Runyon for a pair of goals in the fist 1:40 of the final quarter as Springfield creeper within three at 10-7. After back-to-back failed clears, Santye made Springfield pay for its mistake as he blasted home a score to balloon WNEC's lead to four, 11-7, with 6:35 on the clock.

The Pride would not go away as Macchi answered right back, spinning between a pair of defenders and bouncing home a shot from five yards out to make it 11-8 with 6:06 left in regulation. Delia then tacked on another goal as he fired a shot on the run to bring Springfield within two with 3:34 remaining. Mark Eaton won the next face-off clean and found Austin Orsini all alone in front of the cage just eight seconds later as Springfield appeared poised to make it a one-goal game. However, WNEC's Brewster Knowlton made a sensational save on Orsini as he kept the Pride at bay.

Santare slipped in an empty net goal with under a minute to play as WNEC held on for the 12-9 victory.

Santye finished with a game-high four goals, while White added a hat trick and an assist. Harreys added two goals and Colin Houlihan was credited with two assists. Martin dominated the "X" as he won 15-of-25 face-offs and picked up five ground balls. Knowlton was tremendous between the pipes as he finished with 14 saves for WNEC.

Delia led Springfield with two goals and two assists, while Runyon added a pair of goals and one helper. Marc Martinez finished the game with 14 saves as he had a nice game between the pipes, adding seven ground balls.

For the game, WNEC held a 38-33 advantage in shots and won 15 of the 25 face-offs in the game.

Springfield will turn right around and play on Saturday afternoon as it travels to take on Mass. Maritime in a Pilgrim Lacrosse League contest.