Saint Lawrence vs. Nazareth
March 27, 2010
The Game Story:
Mar. 27: The No. 16 St. Lawrence University men's lacrosse team found itself in familiar territory on Saturday afternoon, as the Saints went to overtime for the third time in their last four games. However, No. 12 Nazareth got the game-winning goal from Joe Jacobs-Ferderbar midway through the second extra session to hand the Scarlet and Brown a 9-8 defeat in Skaneateles, NY.

The victory moves the Golden Flyers to 5-2 on the season and gives the team some redemption after losing to St. Lawrence in the NCAA Tournament last spring. The Saints, now 3-2 on the year, outshot Nazareth 39-28 and had the lead in the final minutes of regulation but were unable to secure the victory.

"Certainly we're disappointed in the final score, but I thought we really played at a high level against a very talented team," said St. Lawrence head coach Mike Mahoney. "It was a great college lacrosse game we can take a lot of positives away from the way we competed."

The Saints were led offensively by first-year student Mac Johnson and sophomore Caldwell Rohrbach, who combined for five goals in the game. Senior Andrew Cochran made nine saves in goal for St. Lawrence, and junior Harry Johnson won 11-of-21 face-offs.

Nazareth held a 2-1 lead after the first quarter behind goals from Jacob-Ferderbar and C.J. Estes. Sophomore Kyle Jacobsen got the Saints on the board and cut the Golden Flyers' lead to 2-1 with 7:52 to play in the first stanza.

After the low-scoring first 15 minutes, the offensive action picked up in the second quarter. Mac Johnson tied the game at 2-2 only two minutes into the second quarter with his fourth goal of the season. Nazareth's Kyle Brown reclaimed the lead for Nazareth only 54 seconds later, but Rohrbach would answer with 7:05 to play in the half to knot the score at 3-3.

Estes would end the half in style, scoring two of the final three goals to give the Golden Flyers a one-goal cushion at the intermission. Mac Johnson would score in between Estes' goals to keep St. Lawrence well within striking distance trailing 5-4 after 30 minutes of play.

Senior captain John Manning leveled the score again at 5-5 with his second goal of the season at 9:31 of the third quarter. Sophomore Matt Pope then put the Scarlet and Brown on top for the first time all day at 6-5, and though Mike Cummings would tie the game again for Nazareth, Mac Johnson capped his day with his third goal with 39 seconds left in the frame for a 7-6 St. Lawrence lead.

The Golden Flyers would take only 4:57 to tie the game at 7-7, as Mark DeCirce took a pass from Jacobs-Ferderbar and beat Cochran for his 14th goal of the year. However, Rohrbach responded only 43 seconds later, taking a pass from Pope and scoring on Nazareth goalie Todd Dermody for an 8-7 lead with 9:20 to play in regulation.

A one-minute slashing penalty on St. Lawrence rookie Jake Wynn with 2:52 showing on the clock would give the Golden Flyers their chance to tie the game. Scott Castle would capitalize on the man-up try, scoring his 13th of the year to force overtime with the contest tied at 8-8. Though St. Lawrence outshot Nazareth 5-2 in the first overtime, they came away empty and Jacobs-Ferderbar would make them pay with his 14th goal of the year at 1:19 of the second overtime, giving the Golden Flyers a narrow 9-8 win.

St. Lawrence finished with a 28-26 advantage in ground balls and was 11-of-14 on clearing tries. However, Nazareth was 1-of-3 on the man-up try while the Saints were 0-for-3 on what proved to be a key statistic.

The Saints would look to rebound from their second loss in three games when they face Potsdam State on Tuesday, March 30th in Potsdam, NY at 4:00pm.