Saint Lawrence vs. Plattsburgh
April 6, 2011
The Game Story:
Apr. 6: St. Lawrence University sophomore Tucker Garfield's second goal of the game came the 2:17 mark over overtime, giving the Saints men's lacrosse team an 8-7 victory over Plattsburgh State under the lights at Hall-Leet Stadium on Wednesday night. The win snapped the Cardinals' seven game win streak.

Garfield was one of several heroes for St. Lawrence (3-5), while Nick Travers had a five-goal game for the Cardinals (7-2). Juniors Matt Pope and Caldwell Rohrbach added three and two goals, respectively, while the defensive unit of Craig Leach, Matt Parker, Jake Wynn and Greg Reagan kept one of the top offenses in the region quiet. Also, junior Steve Cargill won 13-of-19 face-offs including the only draw in overtime.

"I thought we got back to playing intelligent, solid defense," said St. Lawrence head coach Mike Mahoney. "We had nine penalties against Skidmore, only one tonight. We needed to play an excellent game to earn a victory against a talented, well-coached group like Plattsburgh State."

The Scarlet and Brown did just that, outshooting the Cardinals 46-37 and scooping up 34 ground balls to the visitors' 29. Both goaltenders had solid outings as well, as Plattsburgh's Danny Caufield made 13 saves while St. Lawrence's Jack Nuland made eight stops to earn the win.

The first quarter included more goals than the entire second half, as the two teams battled to a 3-3 draw in the opening 15:00 minutes. Travers scored twice for the Cardinals, but was answered by two goals from Pope. Kyle Norchi, who had 42 points in eight games coming into Wednesday, also had a goal for the visitors while Garfield got into the score as well for the Saints.

Plattsburgh State took the only two-goal lead of the game in the second quarter, as back-to-back goals from Norchi and Travers gave the Cardinals a 5-3 advantage with 6:05 to go. However, Rohrbach and Pope would respond with goals in the final 5:47 to even the game at 5-5 heading to intermission.

The second half was a gritty, defensive battle as both teams struggled to get quality offensive chances. Rohrbach and Travers exchanged goals in the third quarter to set up a fourth-quarter showdown with the game tied at 6-6.

After Justin Ingram gave the Saints a 7-6 lead only 2:32 into the fourth, Travers capped his night by tying the score at 7-7 with 11:16 to go. Though both teams had chances, the opposing goaltenders and defensive groups held their ground, setting up the decisive overtime period.

Plattsburgh State would stop St. Lawrence on the opening possession of overtime, but would cough up the ball on the ride to give the Saints another offensive chance. This time, coming out of a timeout, the ball found Garfield, who cut to his right and fired a high shot past Caufield's stick to allow St. Lawrence to celebrate an 8-7 victory.