Saint Mary's (md) vs. Salisbury
April 19, 2003
The Game Story:
St. Mary's City, Md. -- The St. Mary's College men's lacrosse team fell to second-ranked Salisbury University, 18-9, in their final home game of the regular season on Saturday afternoon in a Capital Athletic Conference (CAC) contest. The loss ends the Seahawks' three-game winning streak, and leaves them at 6-6 overall and 4-2 in the CAC, while Salisbury improves to 12-1 overall and 6-0 in the CAC. The Seahawks opened scoring 1:07 into the game, with a goal from sophomore attacker Adam Gjerulff (Rockville, MD/Georgetown Prep), off of an assist from freshman attacker Dave Mueller (Baltimore, MD/North County). Salisbury quickly responded with a goal from senior attacker Josh Bergey less than two minutes later. The first quarter ended in a 4-4 tie, with the Seahawks scoring four goals off of only seven shots in the period.

The Sea Gulls dominated the second quarter, outscoring the Seahawks 9-3. Junior attacker Andy Arnold scored 21 seconds into the quarter off a pass from junior midfielder Brian Oakley. Salisbury quickly scored four more goals in the next three minutes, all from different players. Bergey, junior midfielder Andy Murray, junior defender Eric Martin, and junior attacker Cory O'Neil all tallied goals in that time period. The Sea Gulls also scored on a shorthanded attempt with 4:07 left in the half, on an unassisted shot from sophomore defender Jeff Bigas. St. Mary's College ended the scoring in the half, when Mueller connected with senior midfielder Doug Mayer (Crofton, MD/Severn) with 1:20 left to go, leaving the halftime score at 13-7 in favor of the Sea Gulls.

Bergey began the scoring for the Sea Gulls in the third quarter, receiving a pass from Bigas 1:06 into the period. The Seahawks answered a few minutes later, when junior attacker Greg Scagliotti (Allentown, PA/The Hill School) netted his only goal of the game, assisted by sophomore attacker Kevin Whalen (Bethesda, MD/Georgetown Prep). O'Neil scored his second tally of the day for the visitors with 7:17 left to go in the period. The Seahawks closed the scoring in the third period with only 18 seconds left when senior midfielder Wayne Hickok (Baltimore, MD/Park School) scored an unassisted goal.

The final quarter of the match was dominated by Salisbury, who shut out the Seahawks in the period. Salisbury sophomore goalkeeper Mike Taylor played the first half, and had no saves on 15 shots. At halftime, sophomore goalkeeper Dan Korpon entered the game, and stopped eight of the 18 shots he faced in the contest.

St. Mary's College sophomore goalkeeper Miguel Snyder (Annapolis, MD/Seneca Valley) had 13 saves in the losing effort, while playing all 60 minutes in net.