Stevens Tech vs. Franklin And Marshall
March 6, 2004
The Game Story:
HOBOKEN, N.J. - Freshman midfielder Alex Richards (Beaverton, Ore./Valley Catholic) scored three goals in the third quarter and senior midfielder Matt Kuppe (Pennington, N.J./Hopewell Valley) scored three fourth-quarter goals to rally Stevens Institute of Technology to a 13-11 win over ninth-ranked Franklin & Marshall College on Saturday in a non-conference men's lacrosse game at DeBaun Field.

Franklin & Marshall, ranked ninth in the latest United States Intercollegiate Lacrosse Association (USILA) Division III Top-20 coaches poll, held a 5-2 lead at halftime and also led 7-4 with 6:05 left in the third quarter on a goal by junior attack Steve Welsh. Stevens stormed back with three goals in a span of 1:27 to tie the game. Richards scored at 3:55 and again at 3:11. Sophomore attack Eliot Dahood (Memphis, Tenn./Peddie School) converted an extra-man goal off an assist from freshman Mark Bielicky (Martinsville, N.J./Bridgewater-Raritan) to tie the game at 7-7 with 2:28 left in the third quarter.

Franklin & Marshall regained the lead heading into the fourth quarter, 8-7, when freshman attack Mike Down scored during a three-man advantage with 50 seconds left in the third quarter.

Stevens (2-0) opened the fourth quarter by scoring three goals in the first five minutes to take the lead for good. Kuppe tied the game at 8-8 with 13:38 left and then assisted on the go-ahead goal by sophomore midfielder Jay Wells (North Bennington, Vt./Mount Anthony Union) with 12:36 remaining. Senior midfielder Eric Reckdenwald (Glen Aubrey, N.Y/Whitney Point), who finished with two goals and two assists, gave the Ducks a two-goal lead 10:40 left.

Franklin & Marshall twice cut the Stevens lead to one. Junior midfielder Colin Hanley with 5:52 scored an unassisted goal with 5:52 left to pull the Diplomats within 11-10. Kuppe sealed the win for Stevens by scoring two goals in a span of 10 seconds. He finished off a pass from Dahood with 2:13 left and then picked up a ground ball off a faceoff and scored again at the 2:03 mark to put the Ducks ahead 13-10.

Hanley added a goal with 1:17 left. Franklin & Marshall also had a man-advantage for the final 45 seconds, but was unable to convert.

Stevens held a 47-35 advantage in shots. Senior goalkeeper Matt Cannon (Bridgewater, N.J./Bridgewater-Raritan) stopped 17 shots for the Ducks. Junior Mike Sartorius had 14 saves for the Diplomats.

Stevens is back in action on Saturday, March 13, when it faces No. 13 Lynchburg at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, Md.