Stevens Tech vs. Montclair State
March 23, 2011
The Game Story:
Lightning, Unplayable Field Conditions Delay Men's Lacrosse Game Against Montclair State


Contact: Ben Badua

HOBOKEN, N.J. (March 23, 2011) – The Stevens Institute of Technology men’s lacrosse team held a 7-1 lead with 1:20 left in the first quarter before the game was temporarily halted due to lightning in the area. After a 95-minute delay, the game was called due to unplayable field conditions. As per rule three, section six of the NCAA Men’s Lacrosse rulebook, “If a game is interrupted because of events beyond the control of the responsible authorities, it shall be continued from the point of interruption unless the teams agree otherwise, or there are conference, league or association rules to cover the situation.” Play will resume Thursday, March 24 at 7 p.m. with Stevens up 7-1 and 1:20 on the clock.

Hoping to get off to a quick start, the Ducks jumped out to an early 2-0 lead, scoring a pair of goals in the first minute of action. Senior Brandon Faubert got things started with an unassisted marker at the 14:40 mark before Chris Laurita fired a shot past Montclair junior goalkeeper Mark Glander (Vernon, N.J.) just 34 seconds later.

Looking to extend the Ducks margin, junior Alex Hofrichter took advantage of a man-up situation just one-minute after Laurita’s score, taking a Christian Saley pass before rifling it into the back of the Montclair net to put Stevens up three. Moments later, sophomore Brian Seldeen would cap off a 4-0 Stevens run over the first five with an unassisted tally.

Red Hawks’ senior midfielder Robert Sinicola (North Caldwell, N.J.) finally put the visitors on the board with an unassisted goal at 9:20, but the Ducks responded by netting three unanswered scores over a six minute span to pull ahead 7-1. Saley got the Stevens rally started, scoring a goal on a Laurita assist, before sophomore midfielder Nicolas Philippi netted a tally on a Kevin Rose helper. Faubert closed out the Ducks’ run with his second goal of the day, pushing the lead to six at the 3:22 mark.

Minutes later the game was interrupted due to lightning.