Stevens Tech vs. Ohio Wesleyan
May 8, 2004
The Game Story:
HOBOKEN, N.J. - Senior midfielder Eric Reckdenwald (Glen Aubrey, N.Y./Whitney Point) scored 33 seconds into overtime to lead Stevens Institute of Technology to an 11-10 win over Ohio Wesleyan University in a non-conference men's lacrosse game on Saturday at DeBaun Field.

Stevens closed out the regular season with its 10th straight win, improving to 12-2. The Ducks earned an automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament by capturing the Knickerbocker Lacrosse Conference championship last Saturday, May 1. NCAA pairings will be announced on Sunday, May 9. Ohio Wesleyan, which had its three-game winning streak snapped, falls to 8-6.

Stevens sophomore Jay Wells (North Bennington, Vt./Mount Anthony Union) won the opening face-off in overtime, picked up the ground ball and moved into the Ohio Wesleyan zone. He passed the ball to Reckdenwald at the top of the box and the senior cut to the right and fired a bouncing shot that beat Ohio Wesleyan goalkeeper Paul McCommons with 3:27 left in the extra session.

Stevens held a 10-8 lead following an extra-man goal by senior midfielder Brian Lalli (Cranbury, N.J./Princeton) with 6:41 left in the fourth quarter. It was the third goal of the game for Lalli who became the school's career leader in points with 193. Lalli, who set the career goals mark in the Ducks' Knickerbocker championship win over Montclair State, moved past Joe DiPompeo who had 191 points from 1994 to 1997.

After calling timeout with six minutes left, Ohio Wesleyan pulled to within one when Jon Lewis scored off an assist from Grover Light with 5:31 remaining. The Bishops tied the game at 10-10 when John Schlegel scored his fifth goals of the game off an assist from Jarred Law with 2:56 left. Ohio Wesleyan had possession in the final minute of regulation, but Brian Small had a shot go wide with 13 seconds remaining.

Stevens never trailed in the game. The score was tied 3-3 after the first quarter the Ducks received consecutive goals by freshmen Alex Richards (Beaverton, Ore./Valley Catholic) and Mark Bielicky (Martinsville, N.J./Bridgewater-Raritan) in a span of 1:53 early in the second quarter to take the lead. Stevens, which led 7-5 at halftime, maintained the lead until Schlegel tied the game with less than three minutes left in regulation.

Stevens held a 55-33 advantage in shots. McCommons recorded 22 saves for Ohio Wesleyan. Senior Matt Cannon (Bridgewater, N.J./Bridgewater-Raritan) stopped 16 shots for Stevens.