Stevens Tech vs. Saint John Fisher
May 2, 2012
The Game Story:
HOBOKEN, N.J. (May 2, 2012) – The top seed in the Empire 8 Conference men’s lacrosse tournament, Stevens Institute of Technology, advanced to the conference championship game on Saturday, May 5, with an 11-5 victory over St. John Fisher College on Wednesday afternoon at the De Baun Athletic Complex. Stevens held a slim, 4-3, lead after halftime but erupted for six straight goals in the third quarter to tally its 15th win of the season. The Ducks will meet up with Ithaca College on Saturday at 1 p.m. after the Bombers took down Nazareth College, 15-11, in the other semifinal today.

The Ducks were led offensively by four points (3G,A) from senior attack Alex Hofrichter (Terrance Park, Ohio) and a trio of junior midfielders with three points apiece. Rich Dupras (Hillsborough, N.J.) and Nicolas Philippi (Mullica Hill, N.J.) each tallied two goals and an assist, while Harrison Dorne (Morristown, N.J.) handed out two helpers to go along with a score.

Stevens began the offense for both teams in the game on the first Dupras goal nearly three minutes into the opening quarter. After the first score, the Ducks and Cardinals went on somewhat of a scoring drought, as neither team tallied a goal over the next nine minutes of game time.

Philippi broke the drought with 3:50 left in the first off a feed from Hofrichter to give Stevens an early 2-0 lead on a man-up goal. Fisher answered back with two quick goals in less than two minutes to knot the contest back up at 2s heading into the second period. The Cardinals dominated offensive possession in the first 15 minutes, taking 17 shots to just four by Stevens.

The second quarter started nearly identical to how the first got underway. Freshman attack Andrew Scrutchfield (Lewes, Del.) picked up his first of two goals on the day to give Stevens a 3-2 edge with 12:55 remaining in the half off a pass from Dorne. Dupras then netted his second score of the game four minutes later to put the Ducks back up by two, 4-2.

Not even 40 seconds later, Fisher registered its only goal of the quarter and ended the offense in the first half, 4-3.

After a highly contested first 30 minutes, Stevens stepped up the intensity on both sides of the ball and ran away with the second half, outscoring Fisher, 7-2. Philippi posted his second goal of the game in the opening seconds of the third period. Hofrichter then went on a personal three-goal run over the 2:30 of action to give the Ducks a commanding, 8-3, lead with 9:09 to go in the third. Philippi, Dorne and freshman midfielder Michael Maroon (Virginia Beach, Va.) assisted on each Hofrichter tally.

Stevens would tack on two more goals in the quarter before Fisher could find the back of the net on the other end of the field. Scrutchfield scored unassisted at the 8:01 mark in the third and then Dorne took a pass from Dupras with 4:42 remaining to put the Ducks comfortably ahead, 10-3. The Cardinals closed out the third period with their lone goal of the frame with just over two minutes remaining.

In the final quarter, Stevens slowed the pace down to run out the clock but still managed to score the first goal more than halfway through the period. Junior midfielder Brian Seldeen (Wayne, N.J.) closed the books on the Stevens offense with 6:40 left in the game off a pass from senior defender Matt Marks (Cortland, N.Y.). Marks paced Stevens defensively with five groundballs and five caused turnovers to lock down a solid defensive unit that allowed just two second half goals. Fisher scored its fourth and final goal of the game just 30 seconds later for the last score of the contest.

In goal for Stevens, freshman Matthew Deiner (Millstone Twp., N.J.) made 11 saves in all 60 minutes in cage for the Ducks to earn his fourth victory over the season. Deiner also scooped up a groundball.

Fisher fired off more shots that Stevens, 43-34, and won 12 of 19 face-offs, but the Ducks forced the Cardinals to fail on seven clear attempts in 17 chances. Stevens converted on 13 of 15 clear attempts in the game.