Tufts vs. Western New England
April 3, 2007
The Game Story:
MEDFORD -- Eighth-ranked Western New England College opened the fourth quarter with a three-goal run that broke a 6-6 tie and sent them on to a 9-7 victory over fifth-ranked Tufts in a back-and-forth men's lacrosse game between national top 10 teams at Bello Field on Tuesday night. WNEC senior co-captain Adam Cherry (Westfield, MA), a 6'3 230-pounder on attack, scored four goals with two assists to lead the Golden Bears (8-0).

Both teams entered unbeaten, and for three quarters neither led by more than a goal. The game featured six ties. WNEC had a 2-1 lead at the end of the first quarter on the strength of man-up goals by Mike Kelly (Cheshire, CT) and Jon Hayes (Waltham, MA). Tufts took the lead in the second quarter by scoring three out of four goals, with senior tri-captain Mark Warner (Wading River, NY) recording a goal and an assist. The Jumbos led 4-3 at the half.

The teams traded goals in the third quarter. Hayes tied the game at 4-4 at 11:44 for the Golden Bears. Sophomore Chase Bibby (Marblehead, MA) scored a clutch unassisted goal for a 6-5 Jumbo lead at 1:54, but Cherry's goal with just three seconds left in the quarter tied it up again at 6-6.

The Golden Bears gained the edge in the fourth. Cherry scored his fourth of the game unassisted at 11:35. He then assisted on a goal by Bryan Cofrin (Londonderry, NH) to give WNEC the first two-goal margin of the game at 8-6 with 9:04 on the clock. They stretched it to three goals when Brian Praetorius (Saugerties, NY) tallied at 7:04.

Behind the play of junior goalie Chris Body (Newtown, CT), who had five of his 13 saves in the fourth quarter, the Golden Bears were able to hold off the Jumbos until Michael Ludwig (Delray Beach, FL) scored at 2:25.

Hayes had a four-point game for WNEC (two goals, two assists), while Ludwig and junior Connor Ginsberg (New Haven, CT) each scored twice for Tufts. Matt Harrigan (Darnestown, MD) stopped 12 shots for Tufts (6-1).