Union vs. Clarkson
April 5, 2008
The Game Story:
SCHENECTADY, N.Y Ė The Union College menís lacrosse team rallied from a three-goal deficit but fell in overtime, 9-8, to visiting Clarkson University in Liberty League action at Frank Bailey Field Saturday afternoon. The loss marks the first at home on the season for the Dutchmen, who drop to 6-2 overall and draw even at 1-1 in Liberty League play. Clarkson improves to 5-2 and 1-0 in league action.

Jon Miller (Yarmouth, Maine) and Kyle Tilley (Hamilton, Mass.) led Union with a pair of goals while Clarksonís Tom Ross led all scorers with three goals and an assist.

Clarkson (5-2, 1-0 Liberty) maintained control of the overtime period, holding a 4-0 shot advantage in the stanza, and holding the ball deep in Unionís zone for all but a brief moment of the extra session.

After Union goaltender Christopher Keinath (Wilbraham, Mass.) was drawn out of the net to play a loose ball, Greg Gibbons took advantage of the open net with 31 seconds left in overtime to seal the victory for Clarkson.

Down 7-4 late in the third quarter, Chris Collison (Trumbull, Conn.) brought the Dutchmen within two with his 10th goal of the season with 7:47 left in the frame.

Union went on a three goal run late in the fourth quarter to take the lead, tying the game when Garibaldiís shot bounced in and out of the cage with 3:12 left in the fourth quarter.

Jon Miller picked the upper right-hand corner with just over a minute left in the game to take the lead for the first time since the first quarter, but Clarkson answered back to knot the game at 8-8 with 31 seconds left in the game when Ross scored his game-high third goal of the game.

The first quarter featured seven combined goals and four lead changes. Tyler Long put Clarkson on the board first five minutes into the contest when he ripped in a shot from about 25 yards out before Ian Hunter (Providence, R.I.) evened the game less than a minute later by thwarting a heavy defender with a spin shot near the crease.

The teams traded goals for the remainder of the frame before Clarkson closed the first quarter with a pair of tallies, capped by Cory Schneiderís falling-down shot that found the far lower corner for a 4-3 lead at the end of the first quarter.

Tilley tied the game 13 seconds into the second quarter before Clarkson netted the next two goals to reclaim the lead at the half, 6-4.

Keinath made 15 saves in the loss, while Greg Lamb stopped 13 in the win.

Union is back in action at Ithaca in a 4 p.m. game on Wednesday, April 9. Clarkson continues Liberty League play with a 4 p.m. game against Hamilton on April 9.