Union vs. Rit
March 11, 2006
The Game Story:
Schenectady, NY – Union (0-3) trailed by just five goals at halftime but RIT (4-0) widened the gap with a 12-goal outburst in the third quarter to put the game away and hand the Dutchmen a 21-8 loss. at Frank Bailey Field. It was their third straight loss to start the season, while the Tigers’ record remains unblemished. Sophomore Chris Collison (Trumbull, CT/Trumbull) led Union with two goals on three shots on goal while starting goaltender Rob Oram (New Canaan, CT/New Canaan) made 23 saves. David Thering led the Tigers with seven assists and nine points on the afternoon. He was backed up by Eric Pritchard who had a game-high seven goals. John Foley made four saves in the win.

Union played RIT tough early on, trailing by just three goals after the first quarter. The Tigers jumped out to a 2-0 lead with goals from Joe Argese and Pritchard. Ben Beaty (Cambridge, MA/Buckingham-Browne) responded for the Dutchmen to keep things close. Pritchard countered with two more goals to close things out in the opening stanza.

In the second quarter Union held the Tigers to just two goals, staying within striking distance heading into the third. Andrew Ruocco made it 5-1 with 10:19 remaining and Pritchard came back less than a minute later with his fourth of the game. RIT kept Union off the scoreboard with a stifling defense that killed off a three minute penalty to start the quarter after an illegal equipment penalty was assessed to the Tigers.

Union cut the lead to four with a man-up goal in the first minute of the third quarter from Jonathon Miller (Yarmouth, ME/Yarmouth). Tom Simmons (Salisbury, CT/Salisbury) set up Miller in front with a pass from the left side.

Following two more RIT goals Dan Myerow (Sudbury, MA/Lincoln-Sudbury) made it 8-3 with 12:17 left in the third. After that the Tigers went on the attack, scoring 10 of the next 11 goals to close out the quarter.

David Thering started the fourth quarter with a man-up goal for RIT. It was one of two goals on the afternoon for the senior.

Union outscored RIT 4-3 in the fourth, including three straight with under five minutes to play. Pye Russell (Acton, MA/Acton-Boxboro) struck first with 4:48 to play. Kyle Tilley (Hamilton, MA/Hamilton-Weinham) followed suit 22 seconds later and Collison closed out the scoring for the Dutchmen with a man-up goal with 2:52 left.

Tim Liwosz scored the final RIT goal with 2:39 left to wrap up all scoring for the game.

RIT outshot Union 64-21 with 50 of those shots on goal. The Dutchmen had 14 of their shots on target.
The Tigers also owned a 26-5 advantage in face-offs. They had 57 ground balls while Union finished with 45.

Both teams made goalie changes to start the final quarter. Christopher Keinath (Wilbraham, MA/Minnechaug Regional) made six saves in relief for Union and Brad Conlon made two saves for RIT.

Union will be seeking its first win of the season at Bowdoin on Wednesday, March 22 at 1:30 p.m. in the first of two games in Hudson, FL.