Univ Of New England vs. Gordon
April 11, 2012
The Game Story:
BIDDEFORD, Maine -- Sophomore Dan O'Gorman (Putnam Valley, N.Y.) rifled home a shot with five seconds left in double overtime to send the University of New England men's lacrosse team to a 9-8 win over Gordon College in Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) action Wednesday evening (Apr. 11) under the lights at the Big Blue Turf.

The game-winner -- off a pass from sophomore Nick Gross (Kennebunk, Maine) -- gave the Nor'easters their first triumph against the Fighting Scots in 16 all-time meetings between the squads.

UNE (8-6, 3-2 CCC) had to rally twice in the 4th to force the extra periods. After senior Mike Pennacchio (Peabody, Mass.) and Gross scored early on to tie the game at 7-7, Gordon first-year Nate Masson (Vienna, Va.) netted his second score of the night to restore the visitor's lead at 8-7 with 8:44 left.

Pennacchio pocketed another goal just 76 seconds later while Big Blue played down-a-man to make it 8-all.

Both sides fired off four shots the rest of regulation, but neither could pull in front before the game turned to sudden-victory format.

Pennacchio led the Nor'easters with five points (3 goals, 2 assists), while O'Gorman added a hat trick of his own, to go with a 15-6 face-off record and a match-best nine ground balls.

UNE junior Tyler Thomas (Mount Pleasant, N.Y.) chipped in with two goals and two assists, and senior goalie Nate Porter (Cohassset, Mass.) matched a season-high with 16 saves on the defensive end.

For the Fighting Scots (5-6, 3-3 CCC), senior Wes Chittick (Glenside, Pa.) recorded three scores and first-year Matt Dantona (Syosset, N.Y.) dished out three assists. Junior netminder Houston Zemanski (Annapolis, Md.) posted eight stops in the contest.

Thomas registered both of his markers in the opening frame -- and both from Pennacchio -- to play Gordon even at 2-2.

Pennacchio gave the hosts a 3-2 edge as the 2nd stanza began, but a pair of late scores by the Fighting Scots put the visitors up, 4-3, at intermission.

While O'Gorman leveled things at 4-all 1:11 into the 3rd, Chittick reeled off the next three goals on his own in a span of 3:56 to built Gordon the largest lead for either team in the match at 7-4. O'Gorman, off a feed from Thomas, cut the deficit to two moments later.

UNE plays host to CCC unbeaten Western New England University on Saturday (4 p.m.) its next time out. The Fighting Scots visit Salve Regina University the same day (7 p.m.).