Us Merchant Marine vs. Wesleyan
March 21, 2007
The Game Story:
Kings Point, NY – The game against Wesleyan University and the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy lived up to the high scoring excitement as the Mariners fell 11-8 in a game that was much closer than it appears.

With freezing temperatures outside at Brooks Stadium and the Mariners still having the bad taste in their mouths after suffering their first loss from a week ago, the nations #3 ranked team in Division III lacrosse took the field destined to continue their winning streak. Donning black face paint and red uni’s, the Wesleyan University Cardinals proved in the first half why they were rated as one of the best teams in the country.

On the other side of the field stood the Mariners who were wearing blue and gray and also sported an impressive record of 4-1. With one of the nation’s most prolific scorers on their team, Sean Dougherty was known to turn on the switch at any given moment.

Two minutes into the contest, fans, parents and peers watched Dougherty net the first goal of the game to bring hope of upsetting the highly favored Cardinal team. But that would be the last of the Mariner offense in the half as Wesleyan went on to score six unanswered goals.

Going into the locker room up five, Wesleyan’s parents and fans thought that this game was going to be an easy win – they were wrong.

The Mariners returned to the field with a mission of trying to put points on the Cardinal defense. After listening to the halftime speech of the coaching staff, Jim Flannery and Dougherty each flicked in unassisted goals to trim the Cardinal lead to three. Wesleyan’s Mike Hines then answered with a goal of his own to make sure the Mariners stayed behind.

After watching Hines score on the defense, Flannery retaliated with two Brennan Dougherty assisted goals before Brennan would chip in a goal himself to cut the lead to 7-6 entering the final quarter.

Freshman Brian Flannery brought the Mariners fans to their feet as they watched him stroke in the first goal of the fourth quarter to tie the game at 7-7 in amazing fashion. After a Cardinal score, Sean Dougherty connected for his third goal with 9:54 left to play to re-tie the game at eight apiece.

The game would remained tied until the Cardinals scored with 3:57 left on the clock to take the lead and pull away as they scored two Jason Ben-Eliyahu goals in the final two minutes.

With the loss, the Mariners fall to 4-2 on the season before playing Saturday against visiting Mount St.Vincent at noon. The Cardinals improve to 5-0.