Washington College vs. Hampden-sydney
March 12, 2005
The Game Story:
CHESTERTOWN, MD -- Sixth-ranked host Washington College scored five fourth-quarter goals to rally past ninth-ranked Hampden-Sydney in a 10-9 men's lacrosse victory for the Shoremen this afternoon at Kibler Field. Washington evened its 2005 record at 2-2 with the win, while the Tigers slipped to 2-2 with the loss.

The Tigers struck first in the game as Eamon Thornton scored off an assist from William Shell five minutes into the first quarter. Sean McChesney then found Vince Smith for a goal with 6:03 to go in the quarter to put Hampden-Sydney up, 2-0. The Shoremen got on the board with 4:20 remaining in the period on a goal by freshman attackman Chris Read (Baltimore, MD/Boys Latin), who fired in a shot near the crease after receiving a pass from senior attackman Jon Spivey (Timonium, MD/Dulaney).

Hampden-Sydney would stretch the lead to three goals, at 4-1, early in the second quarter. Thornton scored off an assist from Smith with 14:20 on the clock and Michael Via fired in an extra-man goal off an assist from McChesney with 8:55 remaining. Washington came charging back in the final minutes of the quarter as freshman midfielder Andrew Generazio (Springfield, VA/West Springfield/Bridgton, ME) scored an unassisted goal with 2:54 on the clock and junior attackman Chris Dodge (Westfield, NJ/Westfield) scored off an assist from junior defenseman Tim Kerr (Pasadena, MD/Mount St. Joseph) with 1:05 remaining to cut the lead to 4-3 at halftime.

Spivey scored the first goal of the third quarter with 11:25 to play to tie the score at 4-4, but Thornton answered with a goal off an assist from Smith with 7:29 left in the period. The Shoremen tied the score again at 5-5 with 3:20 remaining in the third when junior midfielder Rusty Poisson (Annapolis, MD/Broadneck) scored his first collegiate goal off an assist from sophomore attackman Andrew Ostrusky (Severna Park, MD/Severna Park/Bridgton, ME). The Tigers once again answered as McChesney scored off an assist from John Pritzlaff with 2:39 left in the period and Smith scored off an assist from McChesney with 1:10 on the clock to put Hampden-Sydney in front, 7-5, heading into the fourth quarter.

Washington came alive offensively in the fourth quarter, scoring the first four goals of the period to grab a 9-7 lead. Read started things off when he flicked in a goal off on the ground following a save by Hampden-Sydney goalkeeper Jeremy Bull with 10:52 on the clock. Ostrusky followed with an unassisted marker with 8:56 remaining and Spivey scored an unassisted goal with 5:47 to play, giving the Shoremen their first lead of the game. Dodge completed the 4-0 spurt when he scored off a feed from sophomore midfielder Anthony Hidell (Wilmington, DE/Tower Hill) with 5:05 remaining in the game.

The Tigers closed the gap to 9-8 when McChesney found Thornton for a goal with 3:17 on the click, but Washington sophomore midfielder Mike Hughes (Pasadena, MD/Mount St. Joseph) won the ensuing face-off and senior defenseman Kyle Mitten (Wilton, CT/Wilton) scooped up the ground ball, raced down field and scored to put the Shoremen back on top by two goals with 3:10 remaining in the contest. Hampden-Sydney cut the lead to 10-9 as Smith scored an unassisted goal with 49 seconds left. The Tigers had a chance to tie the game in the final seconds, but Washington junior goalie Kevin Thibadeau (Cheshire, CT/Avon Old Farms) saved a shot by McChesney with 11 seconds to go and the Shoremen cleared the ball and ran out the clock.

The Shoremen got at least one goal from seven different players in the win. Spivey finished with two goals and one assist, while Read and Dodge each tallied two goals. Thibadeau made 13 saves between the pipes, including nine in the second half. Kerr scooped up a game-high eight ground balls for the Shoremen.

Thornton finished with four goals for the Tigers, while Smith tallied three goals and two assists. McChesney added one goal and four assists. Bull made nine saves for Hampden-Sydney.

Washington held a 26-24 advantage in shots in the game, but the Tigers won the ground ball battle, 40-35. Hampden-Sydney won 12 of the game's 23 face-offs.

The Shoremen return to action one week from today when they open Centennial Conference play with a 12:00 p.m. game at McDaniel.