Washington College vs. Haverford
March 31, 2007
The Game Story:
CHESTERTOWN -- Junior attackman Chris Read (Baltimore, MD/Boys Latin) scored the game-winning goal with 3:04 remaining in the fourth overtime to give sixth-ranked host Washington College a 9-8 Centennial Conference win over 16th-ranked Haverford tonight on Kibler Field at Roy Kirby, Jr. Stadium.

The Shoremen (8-2, 3-1 Centennial) never led in the first half, but a goal by senior midfielder Anthony Hidell (Wilmington, DE/Tower Hill) with two seconds to play in the second quarter cut the Haverford lead to 4-3 at the intermission.

The momentum of Hidell's goal carried over into the second half as the Shoremen outscored the Fords (5-3, 2-1), 4-1, in the third quarter. Read scored off a feed from sophomore attackman Jimmy Kielek (Baltimore, MD/Archbishop Curley) with 10:26 left in the period and Hidell followed with a goal off an assist from junior midfielder Kolyn Kirby (Chestertown, MD/Kent County) at 8:42 before Max Tcheyan scored for the Fords to knot the score at 5-5. Read then tipped in a ball off a feed from senior midfielder Andrew Ostrusky (Severna Park, MD/Severna Park/Bridgton, ME) with 1:41 left in the third quarter and Kielek scored off a Hidell feed with 17 seconds remaining in the third to make it 7-5 in favor of the Shoremen. Kielek's goal was the Shoremen's fourth of the game to come with under one minute to play in a quarter.

Haverford opened the fourth quarter with a pair of goals to tie the score at 7-7 as Alex Guy scored off a Brian Fleishhacker assist with 10:55 on the clock and then netted an extra-man goal off a Tcheyan feed 40 seconds later. Washington regained the lead when Hidell scored off an Ostrusky pass with 9:00 left in the fourth quarter, but the Fords tied things up at 8-8 when Dean Granoff scored off an assist from Shane Hafer with 5:31 remaining in regulation. Washington had the final possession of the fourth quarter, but could not get a shot off.

Haverford took the first four shots of the first overtime period, but two went wide and the other two were stopped by Washington sophomore goalie Gordon Cohen (New Canaan, CT/New Canaan). Washington junior attackman Mike Sutter (Ellicott City, MD/Mount St. Joseph) took the last shot of the period with 37 seconds on the clock as Haverford goalie K.C. Peterson made the save.

The Fords took all five of the shots in the second overtime period as Cohen made two saves. Washington took all three shots in the third overtime, but none were on goal. The Fords cleared the ball late in the period, but could not get off a shot before time expired.

Haverford won the opening face-off in the fourth overtime as John Magovern scooped up the ground ball on Washington's offensive end of the field. The ball was knocked loose and picked up by Sutter, but then came loose again before being recovered by Ostrusky near midfield with 3:11 left. Ostrusky took advantage of the unsettled situation, passing the ball down field where Kielek found Read near the crease for the game-winner.

Hidell scored four goals and assisted on another in the win for the Shoremen, while Read tallied three goals and Kielek finished with two goals and one assist. Fleishhacker and Guy had two goals and one assist each for the Fords, while Tcheyan had a goal and three assists. Cohen made 11 saves in the win for the Shoremen, while Peterson made 12 stops for the Fords.

The Fords held a 33-31 advantage in shots and a 34-30 advantage in ground balls in the game. Washington won 12 of the game's 22 face-offs.

The Shoremen, who improved to 17-0 all-time against Haverford with the win, return to action one week from today with a 1:00 p.m. Centennial Conference game at fifth-ranked Gettysburg.