Washington College vs. Ursinus
March 26, 2008
The Game Story:
CHESTERTOWN, MD -- Junior goalie Gordon Cohen (New Canaan, CT/New Canaan)
registered 18 saves and tallied his first career assist as fifth-ranked
host Washington College remained undefeated with an 8-6 Centennial
Conference men's lacrosse win over visiting Ursinus tonight on Kibler
Field at Roy Kirby, Jr. Stadium. The Shoremen are now 8-0 overall and 3-0
in conference play on the year, while the Bears are 4-4 and 2-1.

The Shoremen took a quick three-goal lead in the game. Senior midfielder
Nick Gregory (Riva, MD/South River) scored 57 seconds into the game,
senior attackman Kolyn Kirby (Chestertown, MD/Kent County) scored off an
assist from senior attackman Chris Read (Baltimore, MD/Boys Latin) with
13:02 left in the first quarter, and Kirby scored an extra-man goal off an
assist from junior attackman Jimmy Kielek (Baltimore, MD/Archbishop
Curley) with 7:41 left in the period.

Ursinus held Washington off the scoreboard the rest of the period and then
scored the first four goals of the second quarter to take a 4-3 lead. Dane
Mangin scored at 13:53 and then scored off an assist from Eric Farris with
10:05 on the clock. Jason Patterson fired in a goal with 8:32 left and
Farris fired in a goal with 6:57 left in the second to put the Bears
ahead. The Shoremen knotted things up when Kielek scored off a Kirby feed
with 4:01 remaining before the intermission. Washington held a 9-7 lead in
shots in the first quarter, but the Bears controlled possession in the
second, getting off 16 shots to the Shoremen's four.

Cohen's first career assist came on a play that sparked a 3-1 third
quarter for the Shoremen. Cohen gathered a ground ball and made a long
outlet pass to junior midfielder Casey O'Connor (Crownsville,
MD/Archbishop Spalding) who sprinted unmarked straight to the goal and
fired in a shot to put Washington in front for good with a 5-4 lead with
13:49 left in the third quarter. Senior midfielder Andrew Generazio
(Springfield, VA/West Springfield/Bridgton, ME) gave the Shoremen a
two-goal lead when he scored off a feed from O'Connor with 10:22 left in
the third. Mangin cut the lead to one goal when he scored off an assist
from Jason Orlando with 5:00 left in the third, but a Kielek goal off a
Kirby feed 17 seconds after the ensuing face-off gave the Shoremen a 7-5
advantage after three quarters.

Neither team scored again until Read gave Washington and 8-5 advantage
with a goal off a Kielek feed with 8:20 left in the fourth quarter. Farris
scored for Ursinus off a Mangin assist with 3:35 to go to provide the
final margin.

Cohen had a game-high seven ground balls to go along with his assist and
18 saves. Kirby and Kielek each had two goals and one assist for the
Shoremen, while O'Connor and Read had one goal and one assist each.

Ursinus held a 39-31 advantage in shots in the game, but Washington won 13
of the game's 18 face-offs.

The Shoremen return to action Saturday with a 1:00 p.m. Centennial
Conference game at eighth-ranked Haverford.