Washington And Lee vs. Roanoke
April 9, 2006
The Game Story:
LEXINGTON, VA--Even with the Generals of Washington & Lee after the first quarter of play, the Roanoke College men’s lacrosse team outscored its host 12-3 over the final three quarters in a 16-7 road win on Sunday afternoon in Lexington, VA. The third-ranked Maroons improve to 9-2 overall and 4-0 in the Old Dominion Athletic Conference with their first win in Lexington since the 1997 season. The Generals, the 20th-rated team in Division III lacrosse, fall to 3-4 overall and 0-2 in the ODAC.

Tim Skeen used a one-on-one dodge early in the first quarter to give the Generals a 1-0 lead, their only lead of the game. Jon Mason scored his first of five goals, on a Scott Pattison assist to even the score and Pat Hurley and Chris Keating followed with unassisted goals to give the Maroons a 3-1 lead with 6:54 left in the first. Hurley’s goal came moments after Roanoke keeper Matt Madalon made a save and the Maroons successfully converted a clear.

With the Generals controlling the face-offs in the game, the hosts pulled to within one, 3-2, on a Ned Rider goal just 50 seconds after Keating had struck for RC. Mason got his second of the game, posting up on the crease, to move Roanoke’s lead back to two, but Jim Ryan scored on an outside shot on a W&L extra-man opportunity to make the score 4-3. The goal was the first of three man-up goals for W&L. With 1:17 left in the quarter, Rider struck again, this time finishing a Grant Martin cross-crease pass to make the score 4-4, as it would be at the end of one.

Pattison recorded his second point of the day to give the Maroons the lead back, 5-4, picking up a loose ball on the crease and scoring his sixth goal of the season. Will Englehart scored the second of W&L’s man-up goals, that with 11:58 left in the second quarter to even the score at five. From there, the Maroon defense limited the Generals to just two goals the rest of the way. In the meantime, Roanoke’s offense scored 11 times. Matt Duke and Mason got the first of those two goals, with Duke’s coming on a lefty dodge and Mason’s on the crease. Ryan scored a second goal to bring W&L within one, 7-6.

With about a minute to play in the half, the Generals had possession in their offensive end. After a Madalon save, the Maroons cleared the ball. Hurley carried past two defenders and scored with just 23 ticks remaining. The Generals were called for a penalty on the play. The Maroons got possession of the ball to wrap-up the half and started the second with possession.

On their first man-up chance of the game, the Maroons got a goal from Brendan Moore, on a Keating assist, to take a 9-6 lead just 35 seconds into the half. Chaz Carlson and Keating followed with third quarter goals before Martin got W&L’s third man-up score, that with 8:02 left in the third.
Before the third was up Mason had scored again as had Zach Thomas. The Maroons scored all three goals of the fourth quarter, getting the final goal from freshman Richard Fox on an assist from freshman Adam Ariosa.

After giving up four first quarter goals, Roanoke keeper Matt Madalon allowed just three the rest of the way. He made 15 saves overall, five in the second, three in the third, five in the fourth. The Maroons won the battle of the groundballs despite losing 19 of the game’s 25 face-offs. Roanoke was whistled for 11 penalties and gave up three goals on 11 W&L extra-man chances.

Roanoke returns to action on Saturday in a home game against the Quakers of Guilford College. The game in Salem, VA begins at 1:00pm.