Williams vs. Connecticut College
April 16, 2002
The Game Story:
William's College men's lacrosse entered this afternoon's game against Connecticut College in a do or die situation. A loss could leave the Ephs outside looking in when the NESCAC tournament starts on the April 28; however, a win would keep Williams in the hunt for a home game in the first round. In games like these teams look to their key players to step up, but excellent defensive execution on behalf of Conn College held leading scorers Chris Hayes and Pete Thomson to just 2 points on the day. No one could have expected that the Ephs would receive six goals and four assists from the freshman and sophomore classes, but that is exactly what happened and Williams ended its 3 game slide in a 9-5 win at Cole Field. The win gets the Ephs back to the .500 mark in both the regular season and in the league (5-5, 3-3). The loss drops the Camels to 1-5 in the league and 3-7 overall.

Held scoreless for much of the first quarter the Ephs got their offense on track when a tandem of first years hooked up for a score. Corey Whitbeck (Hudson, NY) found Matt Barhight (Lutherville, MD) with 3:05 left in the opening quarter to tie the game at 1-1. Barhight wouldn't stop there, 30 seconds later he showed that he could play make, as well as score, as he set up a streaking Pete Thomson (Greenwich, CT) and the Ephs took a 2-1 lead heading into the second period.

Williams wouldn't wait even a minute to score in the second period as sophomore Paul Derosa (Arlington, VA) picked up a loose ball and fired it past an outstretched Conn goalie. Williams took a 3-1 lead and looked like they were ready to blow the game wide open, but missed opportunities and turnovers held the Ephs scoreless for the rest of the period. The Camels capitalized on the Ephs misfortunes and scored twice in the final four minutes of the half to even the score 3-3 at halftime.

The third quarter was all Williams as they outscored Conn 4-0 in the period. Sophomore Scott Wilbur (Victor, NY) scored 30 seconds into the half on a beautiful assist by Barhight and Graeme Sanderson (Waterford, CT) scored his third goal in two games giving the Ephs a 5-3 advantage at the 12:20 mark. The Camels had no answer for dominate attack displayed by the Ephs as Derosa and Whitbeck would each tack on another goal as Williams took a commanding 7-3 lead at the end of three quarters.

Conn would get as close as 7-4 but they couldn't get the quality possesions they needed because first year Dicken Counts (Easton, MD) dominated the fourth quarter face-offs. Thomson said, "the key was possessions, Dicken kept winning face-offs, and it gave us control." The Ephs would surrender 2 goals in the final period, but held the Camels to only six quality possessions, the good looks that Conn did get were stopped by Matt Rade (Orchard Park, NY) who recorded four saves in the period.

The Ephs did score twice in the final period, one of which was was the most exciting goal of the day. Defender Blair Bartlett (Plainfeild, NJ) scooped up a ground ball and raced the entire way down the center of the field only to loose his footing, wind-up, dive and burry the ball past the Conn College net minder. The goal got the loudest cheer of the day because it is a rarity for a defender to perform such a play. Derosa would score once more, recording the hat-trick as well as securing the win for the Ephs.

Connecticut College was led in scoring by sophomore Shane Kaiser who netted two goals. Williams was led in scoring by Derosa who had three goals and Barhight who had a goal and two assists. The Ephs will be back in action at home this Saturday as the face Wesleyan. Game time is scheduled for 2:00 pm.