Williams vs. Keene State
March 28, 2007
The Game Story:
WILLIAMSTOWN, MA -- Keene State scored the first five goals of the game and then rode an outstanding effort in goal by Matt Johnson (22 saves) to knock Williams from the ranks of the unbeaten, 7-6. Johnson had 10 saves in the fourth period alone.

Keene controlled play in the first quarter and had a decisive advantage in time of possession as they opened up a 3-0 lead at the end of one quarter. Billy Brooks opened the scoring at 13:13 and then the Owls frustrated the Ephs by holding the ball for long stretches at a time. The next Keene goal came at 3:27 when Andrew Denley scored off a pass from Tony Santa Fe. The third Keene goal of the period came at 1:39 when Santa Fe scored unassisted.

A Casey Broderson goal at 11:44 of the second period was followed at 8:22 by a goal by Billy Brooks to boost the Keene lead to 5-0 midway through the second quarter. The Ephs finally managed to get on the scoreboard with 6:46 to play in the second period when Kevin Connolly converted off a feed from Dixon Hargrove. An unassisted goal by Chris Merwin with just 0:23.3 to play in the quarter energized the Ephs and made the score 5-2 in favor of Keene at the half.

Williams netted the first goal of the third period to cut the Keene lead to 5-3 when Richard Reuter set up Tim White at 13:15, but Keene answered that goal at 11:35 when Panora scored off a pass from Peter Lauranzano.

Michael Vrla got the Ephs' fourth goal with 3:32 left in the third period teaming up with Dixon Hargrove. Keene led 6-4 at the end of three quarters.

The Eph attack was much more dynamic in the final period as they fired 13 shots at Johnson. At 11:22 the tandem of White and Reuter struck again with White getting the goal.

Again Keene answered the Eph tally quickly, this time taking advantage of the only man-up opportunity in the contest and scoring just 25 seconds after goal by White to make the score 7-5. Panora scored what proved to be the game-winner with Santa Fe getting credit for the assist.

With just 2:12 remaining Reuter drew the Ephs within one goal of a tie when he scored off a pass from Michael Vrla. Despite heavy pressure Keene's goalie Matt Johnson withstood the Eph offensive surge in the final period and preserved the victory for the Owls.

"I would like to give credit to Keene State and their goalie [Johnson] for playing a great game," said McCormack. "I thought we got out worked and out hustled today. "We learned a great lesson today: you have to work for four quarters. One positive for us today was Michael Smith in the second half on face-offs. I thought they dominated the face-offs early, but Michael really turned that around for us."

Keene improved to 5-0 with the win, while the Ephs are now 3-1 on the year.

Sean Panora led the Owls with two goals and assisted on one, Tony Santa Fe scored one and assisted on two and Billy Brooks tallied twice.

For the Ephs sophomore Michhael Gerbush made eight saves. Tim White scored two goals for the Ephs, first year Richard Reuter scored one and assisted on two and Dixon Hargrove had two assists. The Ephs will next see action on Saturday when they travel to Bates to play the Bobcats in a 2:00 p.m. NESCAC contest.