Williams vs. Trinity (ct)
April 15, 2006
The Game Story:
Williamstown, MA- The men's lacrosse team dropped a heartbreaking game to Trinity (5-5 overall) by a score of 10-9 in two overtime periods. Curtis Kahn scored the game-winner with just 27 seconds remaining in the 2nd overtime. Williams (4-5 overall, 1-4 in NESCAC) was led in scoring by Mike Vrla with 5 goals.

For Williams, the first three minutes of the game would be their best. Chris Merwin, Dixon Hargrove, and Mike Vrla each scored unassisted goals by the 11:58 mark. Merwin's tally came just 13 seconds into the game. The early scoring helped give the Ephs a 3-1 lead after the 1st period. Kristopher Tedeschi assisted Curtis Kahn on the lone Bantam goal of the period.

Mike Vrla would score another goal just 58 seconds into the 2nd quarter, extending the Williams lead to 4-1. However, Trinity subsequently rattled off the next three goals to pull the game even at 4. Tedeschi scored two of those three goals, the first assisted by Peter McIntire.

In the 3rd quarter, Mike Vrla scored another 2 goals, both assisted by Dixon Hargrove. The remainder of the game would see both teams exchange goals, neither squad scoring any more than 2 straight goals. This provided some of the most exciting lacrosse this season.

Art Schweitzer assisted Chad Burdette to bring the game within 1 for Trinity, only to have Chris Merwin score his 2nd goal of the game 14 seconds later on a fast break from his face-off win.

Peter McIntire and Art Schweitzer opened scoring in the 4th quarter to bring the score to 7 all with 13 minutes to play. Vrla notched his career-high 5th goal of the game before Chad Burdette recorded his 2nd on the day. Andy Camposeo gave the Ephs a 9-8 lead with 5:20 remaining in regulation, which proved to be too much time to leave the Bantams.

The final 5 minutes was dominated by sloppy play by both teams. Several possession exchanges contributed to a generally tense conclusion. Ultimately, Chad Burdette sent the game into overtime on his unassisted goal with a mere 12 seconds remaining.

In the 1st overtime period, Mike Vrla came within inches of netting his 6th goal and ending the game. An 8-yard shot bounced off the crossbar of the goal and into the air.

"I think our inability to finish really hurt us," said head coach George McCormack. "We had plenty of opportunities. I think if we cut down on our turnovers and missed opportunities, it will make a big difference."

With 27 seconds left in the 2nd overtime, Curtis Kahn put a shot past Ephs keeper Rob Hawkins, who played well and finished with 8 saves.

Jakob Isbrandtsen recorded an impressive 14 saves for Trinity. Williams held a razor-thin advantage on face-offs, winning 13 of 24 draws. Williams won 35 ground balls compared to 20 by the Bantams. The Ephs also outshot their opponents 40 to 29.

Williams will welcome Connecticut College on Wednesday at 4 PM on Renzi Lamb Field.