Williams vs. Wesleyan
April 20, 2002
The Game Story:
Williamstown, MA-- Williams men's lacrosse team, powered by sophomore Paul Derosa's (Arlington, VA) four goals, upended the visiting Wesleyan Cardinals 10-9 at Cole Field. The win improves the Ephs' record to 4-3 in NESCAC play and 6-5 overall. The loss drops Wesleyan to 3-4 in the league and 8-5 overall.

From the opening moments it looked as if the game was going to be a shootout. Wesleyan struck first when freshman Chris Knacke took a pass from senior Mark Unger and buried it past Williams' goalie Baeman Vertovez with 13:25 left in the opening period. It would not take Williams long to respond as Derosa scored his first of four goals only 10 seconds later on a nice look from freshman Matt Barhight (Lutherville, MD). The Ephs went down 4-2, but finished the quarter by scoring 3 goals in the final four minutes. The run was capped off with an unbelievable rip provided by junior Peter Thomson. Thomson whipped an underhand shot from 25 feet past the Wesleyan goalie giving Williams a 5-4 advantage heading into the second quarter.

After scoring two goals in the first quarter Derosa picked up just where he had left off, but this time he was the set up man. Derosa found Williams' leading scorer Chris Hayes (Washington, DC) giving the Ephs 6-4 advantage. Two minutes later Derosa would get his second consecutive hat trick when Derek Chapman (Centerville, MA) located him in traffic for a one timer that put the Williams up three. The defense played extremely well in the second quarter, shutting out the Cardinals for nearly 12 minutes in the second period. Wesleyan ended the drought when Sam Fleischner scored an unassisted goal. That would be it for the scoring in the first half as Williams claimed a 7-5 halftime lead.

Both defenses stepped it up in the third quarter. The Cardinals held Williams to just two goals, while the Ephs stopped the Wesleyan attack allowing just one to shot to find the back of the net. Williams built up a 9-6 lead heading into the the final 15 minutes of play.

The fourth quarter was very exciting. Wesleyan put on push to try and come back a tie the game, but Barhight's goal with 8:33 remaining proved to be the difference maker. The Cardinals would score three goals in the period getting to within one with 5 minutes remaining, but too many turnovers on behalf of Wesleyan and outstanding team defense exhibited by Williams gave the Ephs enough strength to hold on for the 10-9 victory. Williams is next scheduled to play at Middlebury this Wednesday at 4:15.