York vs. Saint Mary's (md)
April 16, 2005
The Game Story:
St. Mary's City, MD -- The St. Mary's College men's lacrosse team
advanced to the semifinals of the Capital Athletic Conference (CAC)
tournament with a 20-10 first round victory over visiting York
College (PA) on Saturday afternoon. The game was delayed for over two
hours as a result of a bomb scare on the St. Mary's College campus.

With the win, the Seahawks improve to 10-5 overall on the season
while the Spartans fall to 5-7 overall with the loss. The
third-seeded Seahawks will now advance to face second-seeded Goucher
College on Tuesday afternoon at Goucher. The Gophers defeated
Marymount in their opening round contest on Friday afternoon, 20-2.

St. Mary's College scored the first six goals of the contest and put
the game away early. The Seahawks built an 8-1 advantage at the end
of the first quarter and were up 13-3 at halftime. The teams played
the second half evenly on the scoreboard with both teams accounting
for seven goals.

Junior attacker Dave Mueller (Baltimore, MD/North County) led all
scorers in the contest with two goals and six assists for eight total
points for the Seahawks. Senior attacker Shane Baxter (Woodbine,
MD/Glenelg) scored four goals while junior attacker Pat Donovan added
two goals and four assists.

The Spartans were led by junior midfielder Josh Papsan who recorded
two goals and three assists on the afternoon. Junior midfielder Ben
Libertini added three goals while freshman midfielder Chris Chappelle
recorded two goals and one assist.

Sophomore goalkeeper Rich Barr (Salisbury, MD/Worcester Prep) started
and earned the win for the Seahawks. Barr recorded three saves in the
contest while allowing seven goals on 14 total shots in 51:43 of
action. Sophomore Matt Wiest (Portland, OR/Oregon Episcopal) played
the final 8:17 and made one save with three goals against on eight
total shots.

Sophomore Matt Hanson started in net and took the loss for the
Spartans. Hanson allowed seven goals on 14 total shots in 11:51 of
action. He was replaced by freshman Matt Keeler who recorded 12 saves
on 53 total shots with 13 goals against in 48:09 of work.

St. Mary's College held a 67-22 edge in total shots and a 56-29
advantage in ground balls in the contest. The Spartans did win 19 of
the 33 face-off attempts in the contest.