Muhlenberg vs. Franklin And Marshall
April 4, 2009
The Game Story:
ALLENTOWN, Pa. - A late first half run provided the difference as Muhlenberg handed Franklin & Marshall a 10-8 setback in Centennial Conference (CC) men's lacrosse Saturday evening.

Four different Mules (2-6, 2-3 CC) scored four goals inside of the final three minutes of the first half to take a 6-3 lead into the break. The offensive spurt turned the otherwise quiet half on its head. It also erased a 3-2 Diplomats (3-6, 1-3 CC) lead, held largely because of Chris Marcozzi's goalkeeping. He stopped nine shots in the first half. He turned away 17 Mules' advances in the game.

On the other side of the half, Muhlenberg reeled off four more goals to make it 10-3 early in the fourth quarter. The Diplomats attempted a late rally, but ran out of clock. Jeff Ritter halted the Muhlenberg run with 11:29 left in the game. A little more than two minutes later, Kevin Kilpatrick scored the second of his three goals on the night to cut the deficit to five goals.

Kilpatrick scored at the 9:27 mark in the first quarter to give the Diplomats a 2-1 lead that lasted 61 seconds. His final goal of the night came with 45 seconds in regulation making it 10-7. Ritter dumped in his second of the game with 19 ticks left to make it the 10-8 final.

The Mules got on the board first when Al Carpetto set up Andrew Lolley with 3:55 left in the first quarter. Lolley scored a pair of goals in the game, including one in the decisive run. Corey Aferiat led the Muhlenberg offense with a pair of goals and an assist. Brent Siebold tallied a hat trick for the Mules. Mike Horowitz made nine saves to secure the win for the home team.

F&M's Colin McKew and Noah Wilkinsky each had a goal and an assist. Besides Siebold and Aferiat, three additional Mules scored two goals in the contest. The game was a statistical dead heat with the exception of shots and ground balls. The Mules fired 38 shots to F&M's 28, while Muhlenberg collected 38 ground balls to the Diplomats 27.

Franklin & Marshall returns to action next Saturday against Haverford.