Mitchell vs. Lyndon State
March 21, 2010
The Game Story:
Mar 21, 2010
LAX Loses to Lyndon State in Overtime

NEW LONDON, Conn. – The Mitchell College men’s lacrosse team fought hard but lost an 11-10 decision in overtime to Lyndon State College on Sunday afternoon.

Chris Mansour netted the game-winning goal with just 25 seconds remaining in the overtime period to give Lyndon State the victory in its season opener. The Hornets were down a man at the time, but Mansour picked off an outlet pass in Mitchell’s end and charged in for the score from in front of the net.

Mansour led the Hornets with four goals while Max Ercole added three and Taylor Stout had two. Josh Arango chipped in with a goal and a game-high four assists, and goalkeeper Christian Henault finished with 12 saves against 33 shots.

Senior John Kearney led Mitchell (0-2 overall) with four goals while junior Patrick Nielsen added three goals and two assists. The Mariners also got a solid outing in goal from sophomore Joseph Nott, who finished with 19 saves and allowed only three goals after the halftime break.

Lyndon State came out firing, scoring six of the first seven goals in the contest to vault out to a five-goal lead. Ercole netted all three of his goals in the game’s first nine minutes to provide the spark. The Mariners, however, closed the opening quarter with goals from Kearney and senior Chris Saunderson to cut the deficit to 6-3.

Mitchell closed the gap even more in the second quarter. Kearney, Nielsen and sophomore Adam Grillo all scored during a five-minute stretch that left the Mariners trailing 7-6 with 5:02 remaining before the half. Mansour wrapped up the first half with a goal at the 1:07 mark to give the Hornets an 8-6 lead at the break.

After a scoreless third quarter, Mitchell pulled even at 8-8 with 7:48 to play behind scores from Kearney and Nielsen. After Mansour put the Hornets back up just over a minute later with his third goal of the day, Nielsen took a feed from Saunderson and tied the game again at 9-9 with 5:36 to go.

Mitchell took its first lead of the contest just over two minutes later, with Grillo scoring on a man-up opportunity to put the Mariners in front 10-9. Stout provided the answer for Lyndon State, scoring moments later to tie the game and send it into extra time.

The Mariners looked to have the advantage when a Lyndon State defender was whistled for a slash with 1:10 to play in the overtime stanza. Mitchell had one look at the goal with the extra man, but Nielsen missed wide and the ball went to the Hornets. Mansour later came through with the game-winning score, the second shorthanded goal of the day for Lyndon State.

The Hornets outshot the Mariners 54-33 and held a 65-53 advantage in ground balls. Lyndon State also won 19 of 24 face-offs and went 2-for-9 on extra-man opportunities. Mitchell scored just one goal in 14 man-up situations.

Mitchell will look to break into the win column at home against Mount Saint Vincent College on Wednesday, March 24 at 3:30 p.m.