Cobleskill vs. Anna Maria
March 13, 2010
The Game Story:
PAXTON, Mass. Ė Freshman Shane Francis (Akwesasne Territory) scored a game-high five goals, while freshman Pete Gonzalez (West Islip, N.Y.) had a team-best six points, as the SUNY Cobleskill menís lacrosse team defeated Anna Maria College, 13-9, in a non-conference matchup at AMCAT Field on a cold and rainy Saturday afternoon. The win was the first of the young season for the Fighting Tigers, improving their overall mark to 1-2, while the loss knocks the AMCATS down to 1-3 on the year.

The Fighting Tigers were led by the five goals from Francis and five assists from Gonzalez, while freshmen Steve Hughes (Wallkill, N.Y.) and Kevin Eipp (Onondaga, N.Y.) added four and three points, respectively. Junior Alex Bendon (Latham, N.Y.) also played well, grabbing a game-high 14 ground balls, while junior Cory Tizzio (Franklin Square, N.Y.) won 19-of-26 face-off attempts for the Fighting Tigers. Junior Tom Knezick (Columbus, N.J.) earned the win in net for SUNY, making four saves in 30 minutes of action.

The AMCATS were paced by freshman Nikolas Langlois (Hatfield, Mass.) who had a team-high six points on four goals and two assists. Freshman Chris Summers (Morris, N.J.) added three assists in the tough loss, while junior Luke Biggins (Sudbury, Mass.), sophomore Mike Saulnier (Wrentham, Mass.), and freshman Rodrigo Henriques (Saugus, Mass.) each chipped in with two points apiece. Freshman Jason Baker also had a fine afternoon, grabbing a team-high nine ground balls and scoring his first collegiate goal.

AMC jumped on the board early, as Biggins took a feed from Saulnier and found the back of the net after just 41 seconds of play to grab a 1-0 lead.

The Fighting Tigers responded by scoring three unanswered goals to close out the quarter, getting an even-strength goal from Captain Brian Murphy ((Cross River, N.Y.) in between two tallies from Francis, including a man-up goal with 3:56 remaining.

SUNY continued their run in the second quarter as Hughes scored his first goal of the game off a nice feed from Gonzalez just 54 seconds into the frame.

The AMCATS then battled back, running off three consecutive goals to tie the score at four-all, with Langlois contributing on each tally with two goals and an assist.

The Fighting Tigers reclaimed the lead with just 50 seconds remaining in the half, capitalizing off a man-up opportunity when Gonzalez set up Francis for his third goal of the half. SUNY went into the break holding a 5-4 advantage.

The Fighting Tigers came storming out of the gate in the second half, scoring three-consecutive goals, as Gonzalez, Eipp, and Francis all found the back of the net.

Trailing 8-4, the AMCATS scored back-to-back goals within 32 seconds of each other, cutting the SUNY lead to 8-6. Langlois scored the first goal off a pass from Henriques, before Biggins assisted freshman Alex Natterstad (Upton, Mass.) on his first collegiate goal.

SUNY added a goal by Brian Murphy before the third quarter came to a close, and went into the final period leading 9-6.

The AMCATS fought their way to within two at 11-9 with four minutes remaining in the game, but the Fighting Tigers closed out the 13-9 victory with goals from Francis and Eipp.

SUNY outshot the AMCATS 39-25 in the game, and were a perfect 2-for-2 in extra man opportunities without committing a single penalty of their own.