Southwestern vs. Millsaps
April 1, 2012
The Game Story:
GEORGETOWN, Texas - Though trailing early the Southwestern lacrosse team used a four goal fourth quarter to defeat Millsaps College 9-4 on Sunday morning. The win improves SU to 3-8 on the year and 3-1 in the SCAC and into sole possession of second place.

Jamie Long kicked off the scoring seven minutes into the game, finding the back of the net to give the Pirates an early 1-0. Millsaps jumped to action following the score and posted three unanswered goals to close out the first quarter up 3-1.

Nolan Klein opened the second quarter with an unassisted goal less than two minutes into the frame and Jeremy Tufnell scored the equalizer four and a half minutes before halftime. The score remained tied, 3-3, heading into the break.

Following halftime Millsaps' Scott Budd scored to give the Majors the lead once again, 4-3, with 8:05 to play in the quarter. The Pirate defense went on lock-down for the remainder of the game, keeping the Majors from scoring and holding MC to just 9-20 successful clears for the game after starting out 4-4. Long, assisted by Michael Villa, scored the game tying goal with just under four minutes to go in the third and Elliot Kelly, assisted by Tufnell, gave the Pirates the go ahead to send Southwestern into the fourth quarter up 5-4.

Looking to gain some breathing room, Southwestern went on a scoring spree to close out the game. Nick Sivon started the rally with an unassisted goal and Long punched home two more, one assisted by Nathan Balke, to give SU a four goal lead, 8-4, with five minutes to go. Villa, assisted by defenseman Cameron Metzker, put the icing on the cake with a goal in transition with 3:23 on the clock to secure the 9-4 victory.

Southwestern took 43 shots and forced Millsaps into 29 turnovers, 15 caused. Millsaps was held to just 18 shots on the day. First-year goalkeeper A.J. Cole recorded his first win of the season in his first start, recording eight saves. MC's Chris Hood was busy and goal and posted 14 saves.