Maine-farmington vs. Thomas
April 18, 2012
The Game Story:
FARMINGTON, Maine -- Matt Davis (Farmington, Maine) scored with 2:52 left in overtime as Thomas College rallied from a five-goal hole to defeat the University of Maine at Farmington 10-9 in North Atlantic Conference men's lacrosse today at Prescott Field.

The Beavers (2-9 overall, 1-6 NAC) are scheduled to host Maine Maritime Academy next Wednesday at 4 p.m. The Terriers (3-9, 3-3) are scheduled to visit Lyndon State College Saturday at 1 p.m.

Davis finished with five goals for Thomas, which fell behind 6-1 at intermission. Derek Racine (Sabattus, Maine) netted two goals and an assist in the win, while Gunnar Shelton (Eugene, Ore.) pitched in a pair of goals, Erik Tiner (Lewiston, Maine assisted on two goals and Sean Machin (Brunswick, Maine) also had a goal.

Racine and Shelton each scored an unassisted goal in the final 1:04 of regulation to force the extra session. Davis won the overtime-opening face-off and the Terriers took only 1:08 to strike with Davis capping the comeback with an unassisted tally.

Nathan Chase (Wells, Maine) tallied four goals for UMF, while Matt Roy (Kents Hill, Maine) scored twice and assisted on a goal, Jon-Michael Roy (Kents Hill, Maine) scored once and had an assist and Ethan Fletcher (Waterville, Vt.) and Jake Linkletter (Athens, Maine) each potted a goal.

Ben Altmaier (Wilton, Maine) stopped 13 shots for UMF. The Terriers held a 37-35 edge in shots. Kris Gagne (Sabattus, Maine) and Mike Foley (Byfield, Mass.) each forced five turnovers and Gagne led the team with 10 ground balls.

Jesse Morkeski (Damariscotta, Maine) made 12 saves for Thomas, which received 10 ground balls from Davis.

Follow a 1-0 UMF lead over the first 15 minutes, Chase and Matt Roy each tallied two goals in the second quarter as the Beavers a 6-1 lead by the break. Davis scored twice in the third as the Terriers outscored UMF 3-1 in the frame to trim the Beavers' advantage to 7-4.

After a dormant beginning to the fourth, the offenses awoke over the final 4:10 of the game. Thomas cut the lead to 7-6 with a man-up finish for Davis and a Machin goal with 3:55 remaining. Chase finished off a Matt Roy feed to push the Beavers back to an 8-6 with 3:30 remaining, but Racine responded eight seconds left to knock it down to 8-7.

Jon-Michael Roy appeared to provide insurance for UMF with 1:25 to play to make it 9-7, but Racine and Shelton came up with tying scores at 1:04 and 0:35, respectively, to tie the game at 9-9 and set the stage for Davis' game-winner and the 10-9 Thomas win.