Suny Canton vs. Sunyit
March 28, 2012
The Game Story:
(Canton, N.Y.)- Freshman Rob Gleason (Vestal, N.Y.) scored with 20 seconds left in the third overtime, junior Pat Connelly (Chittenango, N.Y.) had nine points and sophomore goalie Corey Spuck (Rochester, N.Y.) came up with several big stops in the extra sessions guiding the Roos to a dramatic 17-16 win over SUNYIT on Wednesday.

The Roos won their second game in a row and evened out their record at 3-3 with Wednesday’s thriller that took an extra 11 minutes and 40 seconds to decide the outcome.

Connelly had a career game for the Roos with four goals and five assists, including setting up the game-winning score.

“That’s the kind of game we’ve expected from Pat all season,” said head coach Pat Harrington. “He works so hard at his game and today he really stepped up and buried all his shots.”

SUNY Canton erased an early three-goal deficit with a decisive second quarter outscoring SUNYIT 6-0 to take a 7-4 advantage into halftime.

The final 30 minutes of regulation was back-and-forth action as each time the Roos threatened to open a large margin the Wildcats rallied to stay close.

The Roos led 11-9 after three quarters and found themselves ahead 14-11 with 9:04 left in the fourth quarter after a blistering shot from freshman Jason Thompson (Massena, N.Y.) who had four goals and two assists. SUNYIT scored three goals in a span of five minutes to tie the game at 14-14. Connelly put the home team back up one as he stopped the run with a goal with 3:38 left off an assist from Gleason. SUNYIT dead locked the game again two minute later and then sophomore Alex Tibbles (Evans Mills, N.Y.) scored from Thompson with 58 seconds left to put the Roos back ahead by one at 16-15. SUNYIT wasn’t finished though and sent the game into overtime when Trevor Totman scored with 10 seconds left in regulation.

The overtimes were dominated by great defensive plays and several outstanding saves by Spuck who had five big stops in the extra stanzas to finish with a total of eight. In the first overtime the Roos had three good scoring chances turned aside by the Wildcats defense and Spuck had one save on a point blank shot. In the second overtime, the Wildcats won the faceoff and went right down the middle of the field but Spuck stopped two quick shots from close range to keep the game going. Two good chances on the offensive end for the Roos were stymied by SUNYIT goalie Andre Shattell , who finished with 11 saves. Spuck came up with another big stop with just over a minute left but the Roos, after a nice clear, quickly turned the ball over on the other end. The Roos then forced a pair of turnovers to keep the ball in the offensive end but weren’t able to get good look at the cage and the game went into a third overtime. In the final period, with a steady rain coming down, the Roos forced the Wildcats into two failed clears and one big turnover by freshman Brian Hanson (Canton, N.Y.) and with time winding down Connelly, off a re-start near midfield, fed Gleason who beat Shattell for the game-winning goal setting off a wild celebration by the Roos and the die-hard fans who braved the weather to the end.

Freshman Trevor Roundpoint (Rooseveltown, N.Y.) added three goals and two assists. Tibbles finished with three goals and an assist. Gleason had two goals and an assist and freshman Trevor Wight (Clearwater, Fla.) contributed a goal and two assists.

Adam Reynolds tossed in four goals with two assists to lead SUNYIT.