Philadelphia Barrage vs. Chicago Machine
June 14, 2008
The Game Story:
ST LOUIS, Mo. - Looking to avoid a three-game losing streak, the Philadelphia Barrage trailed the Chicago Machine by 11-9 with just under three minutes left in regulation. However, two goals in the final 2:08 sent the game into overtime and the Barrage snapped their two-game skid with a 12-11 overtime victory at the Anheuser-Busch Center on Saturday evening.

Seth Goldberg scored off a feed from Ryan Boyle for the game-winning goal at the 1:42 mark of the extra period.

Led by two goals from Matt Striebel, the Barrage jumped out to a 4-1 lead in the first 13 minutes of the opening quarter. With 48 seconds left in the stanza, Kevin Leveille narrowed the margin to 4-2 with the first of his four goals.

Just before the first quarter ended, Goldberg scored off a Boyle pass to give Philadelphia a 5-2 advantage.

After the teams traded goals to begin the second quarter, the Machine scored three straight goals in the final five minutes to tie the game at 6-6 at the intermission. Brian Clayton scored two of the goals during the rally.

Roy Colsey and Matt Striebel scored back-to-back goals in the first eight minutes of the third quarter to regain a two-goal lead for the Barrage with 6:10 remaining. Eric Pittard narrowed the Chicago deficit to 8-7 with an unassisted goal with 3:27 remaining in the stanza.

After the teams traded goals to open the fourth quarter, the Machine scored three consecutive goals, including a pair from Leveille, to take an 11-9 lead with 2:44 left.

Michael Springer scored off a pass from Peter Trombino with 2:08 remaining, closing the margin to 11-10. With five seconds left, Colsey sent the game into overtime with an unassisted goal, which set up the heroics.

Goldberg led the Barrage with three goals and one assist while Colsey added two goals with an assist. Goalkeeper Brian Dougherty made 18 saves en route to Bud Light MVP honors.

Leveille paced Chicago with four goals while Clayton added a “hat trick” in a losing effort.