Long Island Lizards vs. Boston Cannons
May 31, 2008
The Game Story:
BOSTON, MA - Saturday, May 31, 2008 – The Boston Cannons of Major League Lacrosse (MLL) were defeated in a hard-fought battle with the Long Island Lizards, in overtime by a score of 20-19, in front of 3,642 fans at Mitchel Athletic Complex in Uniondale, New York, on Saturday night.

With the loss, the Cannons dropped to a 1-2 record on the season. The win for the Lizards was their first of the season, increasing their record to 1-2.

The Lizards jumped out to an early two-goal lead in the first quarter, but attackman Matt Alrich (Delaware ’04) got the Cannons on the board with his marker at 2:17 assisted by midfielder Tom Zummo (NYIT ’05), who was playing in front of his home town crowd. The Lizards collected two more quick goals to take a 4-1 lead until midfielder Matt Poskay (Virginia ’06) cut the lead in half with his tally at 5:13, with Zummo earning his second assist of the game on the play. Midfielder Joe Kostolansky (Hofstra ’03) found the back of the net for his first goal of the season, a man-up goal at 8:11, to cut the Cannons deficit to 4-3. Attackman Sean Morris (UMass ’06) assisted on the goal to earn his first point as a Cannon after being acquired in a trade with Chicago on May 28. The Lizards increased the lead to 5-3, but Morris brought the game right back to within one goal with his first goal as a Cannon at 11:20, assisted by defenseman Ryan Curtis (Virginia ’00). Poskay added a tally at 14:43, with Morris earning his second assist of the game, to tie the score at 5-5 at the end of the first segment.

The Cannons earned their first lead of the game at 2:06 in the second quarter with a goal from Zummo, but from there they found themselves playing catch-up to a Lizards team that scored six unanswered goals to take a authoritative 11-6 lead. Midfielder Brett Garber (UMass ’07) halted the Lizards scoring run with his goal at 11:37, assisted by Morris, to make the score 11-7, but the Lizards pulled out to a five goal lead again with a tally just 30 seconds later. Kostolansky closed the quarter with his second goal of the game, a massive two-pointer at 14:57, to close the Lizards’ lead to 12-9.

The Lizards carried the momentum again in the third frame with three goals, including one man-up goal, to increase their lead to 15-9, but the Cannons answered back with three goals of their own to close the lead to 15-12. Alrich collected his second tally of the game, assisted by attackman John Christmas (Virginia ’05) at 9:37, Kostolansky scored his third goal of the game at 12:41 and Christmas found the back of the Lizards’ net at 14:09. Morris earned his fourth assist of the game on the tally by Christmas. The Lizards put one more goal past Cannons goalie Kip Turner (Virginia ’07) to take a 16-12 lead into the final quarter of the game.

With an ominous storm looming over Mitchel Athletic Complex, the Cannons came out aggressively and collected two huge two-point tallies to tie the score at 16-16. Zummo collected the first two-pointer at 2:19, with Morris earning his fifth helper of the game on the play, and Kostolansky scored his fourth goal and second two-point goal of the game at 4:04. The Lizards regained the lead once more, but the Cannons tied the score again at 17-17 with Morris’ second goal of the contest, assisted by Poskay, at 5:09. The Lizards traded goalie Nick Murtha (Johns Hopkins ‘02) for back-up goalie Matt McMonagle (Cornell ‘07) at 7:05 before taking the lead back from the Cannons once more. Christmas collected his second goal of the game at 13:04 to tie the game at 18-18 and Poskay gave the Cannons a 19-18 lead with his third marker at 14:31. Morris earned his sixth assist on Poskay’s goal. The Lizards tied the game again with just three seconds remaining before the final buzzer, sending the battle into sudden death overtime.

After several chances for both teams, the Lizards ended the contest at 4:01 in the extra frame for a 20-19 victory.

Turner made 16 saves for the Cannons on the 36 shots he faced in the loss. Murtha made 19 saves on 33 shots for Long Island before being replaced by McMonagle, who stopped three of the five shots he faced.