Long Island Lizards vs. Philadelphia Barrage
June 5, 2008
The Game Story:
Philadelphia adds another loss to their belt in 2008, with another devastating 22-12 loss to the Long Island Lizards. Ben Rubeor was named the Bud Light MVP for his three point performance (3G) in his first full MLL game.

The first quarter started out rough for the Barrage as the Lizards jumped out to an early 3-1 lead. Philadelphia finally broke their scoreboard silence with back-to-back goals from Seth Goldberg and Roy Colsey but it was not enough to gain the lead. Keith Cromwell scored with 2:30 left on the clock, giving the Lizards a three goal lead going into the second 15 minutes of play.

Justin Smith tried to turn the game around for the Barrage with his first goal of the night three minutes into the second quarter but the Lizards Glen Adams scored to regain their three goal cushion followed by another set of back-to-back goals from Spencer Ford and Ben Rubeor. Philadelphia had a spark to end the second quarter with a goal from Bobby Horsey, followed by a goal from Matt Striebel, both goals with under a minute left to play. The score at the half was 9-6 Lizards.

Philadelphia started the second half without starting goalie, Brian Dougherty, who was serving a five minute unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for fighting at the end of the second quarter. That did not slow the Barrage down as Goldberg and Mike Springer scored goals, each their second of the night, to bring the Barrage within one. The momentum seemed to be flowing in Philadelphia’s directions until Blake Miller scored his first for the Lizards, bringing them back up by two. Springer got the first hat trick of the evening bringing the Barrage within in one again but Frank D’Agostino scored for the Lizards keeping them in the lead. Rubeor, who was selected 14th overall in the collegiate draft, score his first hat trick in the MLL to give the Lizards back their three-goal lead. Followed by a goal from Frank Resetarits with a minute left and then again from John Orsen with less than a minute to play.

The Lizards were determined to come out on top and Stephen Berger, scored three goals in a row, giving his team a very comfortable lead. Goldberg tried to keep his team alive, but the Lizards answered his goal with three more goals in a row, one being a two-point goal. Colsey scored his first two-point goal of the season but it was not enough. Tim Goettlemann sealed the deal for the Lizards with the final goal of the fourth quarter with 50 seconds left to go. The Lizards win, 22-12.